Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where some frame sliders can be picked up? I'm anticipating some drops this season and like my plastics the way they are.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey thanks for the reply :)

Do you know if there are any other options? I read somewhere that those are actually kind of on the short side (not to mention a bit pricey!). I was thinking, maybe if I bought sliders for say an R6 or ZX-6R and just use the bolt for EX500 sliders and attach them that way. Any comments?

·
Registered
253 Posts
#note# if ya buy the cheapos. ask for the large base slider. since these sliders are for honda one slider is smaller in diameter on the mounting base. both sliders look the same but the base(the part that will be facing your pegbracket)is smaller. the difference is small and will not affect bolting it on. i didn't know this when i ordered due the pix not showing it. so ask for 2 large base sliders when ordering.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
404 Posts
Cheap is cool, but if can afford it get "Delrin" best quality plastic I think...pricy
but cheaper than new plastics and a paint job.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks a lot for the responses! So are those "cheapo" sliders made by BRG as well? I didn't see a link where I could order them. And what about changing the bolt? Should I just get a longer 10mm bolt? Very much appreciate the feedback here.

PS - are those just rear frame sliders? What did you do for your front? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
for the front, the best/easiest way would be to get bar weights installed, or mirrors at the end of your handlebars so they would take the damage if it falls.

I got bar end mirrors for 20$ each.. surely less expensive than a fairing ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
eXce!!eNt said:
Thanks a lot for the responses! So are those "cheapo" sliders made by BRG as well? I didn't see a link where I could order them. And what about changing the bolt? Should I just get a longer 10mm bolt? Very much appreciate the feedback here.

PS - are those just rear frame sliders? What did you do for your front? Thanks!
i switched it over to standard. i use a grade 8 3/8 bolt 4 inches long. here is the order to bolt up.
1. 5/16 grade 8 washer(this will be inside on slider side)
2. 2 3/8 grade 8 washers(these will be between your slider and footpeg bracket)
3. backside of bracket(if ya run sarachu's your clamp will be on first) 1 3/8 grade 8 washer,1 grade 8 3/8 lockwasher, and 1 3/8 grade 8 nut.
of course you can go witha nylon locknut but i elected to stay grade 8 all the way
pix is a cell phone shot but ya get the idea right?
don't use this type of slider on front. this is a rear peg only slider. you'll need a re-enforced bushing insert slider if ya do the front

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
While grade 8 bolts have higher clamping pressure they are also more brittle, & they can snap rather than bend/give when struck perpendicularly. Certainly, the amount of force it takes to snap it depends on bolt thickness too.

What grade bolt do sliders come with, or are recommended to have?
Maybe the bikes are light enough that it just doesn't matter.

What has the racer crowd experienced?

(If memory serves, the bolt should be stronger than the nut, but never the other way 'round.)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So maverick, was that rear slider purchased from BRG? If not, could you provide a link where I might be able to buy them? Or did you go the completely home-made route? (I know it can be done, I'm just not that intuitive :p)

EDIT - also wanted to add something. I have a Ninja 250 that I was learning on and ended up crashing due to a pedestrian's stupidity. Anyhow, the brunt of the force fell upon my handlebars (the right handle bar) and consequently my frame was bent. The bike went down and the handlebars were turned all the way to the right, and the force caused the frame to be bent and now the bars strike the gas tank when turned fully. I don't think bar weights or bar end mirrors are the safest investment. I'm just throwing this out there. I appreciate the feedback very much though.

·
Registered
253 Posts
chk out frog's post in this topic. he linked back to the original frame slider thread. some of my pix are gone due to a 81x.com server crash but the eBay link is there. the Brig's are nice but Way out my price range. they don't call me Mr. cheapo for nothing!!!! :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Am I missing something here? Is $95 a lot for two pieces of metal that protect a $500 piece of plastic?

Has anyone used the metal version? I'm looking for something to act as training wheels for me... I took the bike out for some practicing this weekend and I've already dropped it and the boyfriend suggested getting frame sliders. I don't want to deal with massive modifications- something quick and easy.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
19,392 Posts
How about Training wheels?

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
maat1976 said:
Am I missing something here? Is $95 a lot for two pieces of metal that protect a $500 piece of plastic?

Has anyone used the metal version? I'm looking for something to act as training wheels for me... I took the bike out for some practicing this weekend and I've already dropped it and the boyfriend suggested getting frame sliders. I don't want to deal with massive modifications- something quick and easy.

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.
It's not designed to protect your $500 fairings... it's designed to protect your irreplaceable frame.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts