Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just installed a set of the BRG (brgracing.com) sliders on a 2006. On this year, they are NOT "no cut", but all that was needed was a simple hole saw to the lower fairing in the right spot.

If anyone is interested I'll post photos. You almost don't need a how-to on this, but some better pictures than those they had on their site might be a plus. Already laid it over in the garage to see if they actually protect everything and they do (assuming you tossed the stock front signals). Even with the front signals on there is enough flex in the rubber base that it probably wouldn't be a disaster.

They are a little pricey, but less than half the cost of new front fairings alone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm new to riding and have a question...

If you put frame sliders or even an engine cage, and you wreck, isn't there a much better chance of bending the frame? Isn't the impact going to be concentrated on the point where you mount the slider or cage?

I understand that plastics are expensive, but isn't a frame swap much more of a pain?

I've condidered some protection from light drops, but my designs involve a support rail going all the way through the frame to the other side, so the impact is spread out. Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just installed the BRGs (that had been sitting on the workbench for about a year). I was planning on cutting just a hole, but wanted it to be easy to take the fairing off without removing the sliders...

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nice job. very clean. What r they made out of? HDPE? I think A fella could put a longer mount bolt with a 4"-6" round stock of HDPE machined to fit on the ends of the new bolt? Or r they more than involved than that?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Delrin and a single threaded rod. Now they were meant or the 500, but I did have to put spacers on both the front and rear to make them work. I had my father make aluminum spacers for the rear that matched the slider. On the front I used a nut to secure the bolt against the frame and a rubber spacer between the slider and the nut.

Check out the BRG Racing page, they should have more pictures. If you can make your own I am sure they would be much cheaper!

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
harleyxlc said:
I just installed the BRGs (that had been sitting on the workbench for about a year). I was planning on cutting just a hole, but wanted it to be easy to take the fairing off without removing the sliders...
next time you have your fairing off snap a few more photos. if you can ,looks good though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Will do. I want to polish the edges so maybe sometime soon :)

The right side was easy, just make the radius that is already there a bit bigger. The left side, used a hole saw and then cut back and curved a bit to look natural.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Good choice on making slots in the lower plastic.

Plus the sliders ought to help hold the thing closer in position when fastening them down.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That's a nice installation, harleyxlc. I've got some BRG frame sliders myself, but right now I'm just cruising with no lower fairing. Might try for something like what you've done.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to be late, afraid I was out of commission for a bit from a low-side into a curb.

Any way, here are the photos of the finished job.

A little cut with a hole-saw and the fronts are good to go. The front signals had to go however in order to make this useful:

these replaced the front signals and mirrors. I'd like to say they were better visibility than stock, but they aren't. They are no worse...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got those same mirrors.....what did you do to plug the holes where the old signals were? Did you have to drill a third hole to route the wires?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hey Twidget... do the front sliders work for highway pegs in that position?
If so... what's your inseam?

·
Registered
826 Posts
twidget said:
Do I spot a brake lever that's taken the brunt of a drop there! :) Mine were like that. I ordered some more recently that were nice and cheap and then some lovely woman decided to bend the week-old clutch lever by pulling into my path at a crossroads.

·
Registered
52 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Hey Twidget... do the front sliders work for highway pegs in that position?
If so... what's your inseam?
No, they don't really stick out enough to work as pegs. I suppose you could extend them out past the fairing a little further with washers or something. Position wise they are a little too far forward for me as well (32" inseam).

·
Registered
52 Posts
SANGER_A2 said:
twidget said:
Do I spot a brake lever that's taken the brunt of a drop there! :) Mine were like that. I ordered some more recently that were nice and cheap and then some lovely woman decided to bend the week-old clutch lever by pulling into my path at a crossroads.
Ouch! Yes, these have been down at least once, not at speed but a driveway drop. I really need to grab a new set I guess :)

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I just got done installing my BRG frame sliders up front. I went for the same basic approach used by harleyxlc; making notches so that the chin fairing can be removed without removing the frame sliders. through.

I used silly putty on the inside of the chin fairing to mark the exact location of the engine bolt, as described in the link below. I started out with a step drill bit, and made a hole about 1 3/4" about where the frame slider would come through the fairing. Then when that was done, I used a saw blade on a dremel to cut a slot to the hole. Then I switched to a sander blade on the dremel, and smoothed everything out. I ended up needing a hole a lot larger than my original to make it fit, and I accidently removed a tiny bit too much material on the right side of the bike.

I was really afraid going in to this that I would damage my fairing or not like the way it looks. But it looks pretty sweet and I'm hopeful that in the event of a drop or crash, it will help minimize damage all around. My other hesitation is that this is the first and only non-revertible modification I've made to my bike, aside from some custom scratches I picked up in a drop early on. But I'm pretty happy with the results.

Thanks to everyone who helped (mostly just harleyxlc). And also thanks to my department for giving me enough lab space that I could comfortably get my bike inside out of the cold and rain to work on it.

I must say I got some great looks from people walking down the hall, casually looking in, and then being surprised to see me working on a motorcycle, using department tools and lab space.

Now all I need is some frame sliders for the rear...

Pictures to come soon.

Using silly putty to mark engine bolt location on fairing:
http://sportbikeguy.com/garage/floor/frameslider.html

1 - 20 of 28 Posts