Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I race an EX500 with the CRA. This year I probably won't be doing any other tracks other than BIR in MN.

After last race weekend I can tell that the new EBC Pro-Lite solid front rotor is starting to warp just like the one I replaced from last season. It was a different owner, but the rotor I took off was like a soup bowl.

I'm trying to find different options for front brake rotors / different set ups. I want to keep the bike supersport legal, so I don't think I can change the front forks to get a dual disk set up. Otherwise I'm going to be buying a new rotor after every race weekend.

Current set up is the EBC Pro-Lite solid rotor w/ EBC HH pads.

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I'm pretty sure you're allowed to use EBC's floating rotor. That will certainly help the situation. Solids will warp, first time every time, as you've learned. ;) :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, here's what I found.

Does anyone see any difference between these two models? One's listed for EX500, and one for Ninja 500. Looks like the same thing to me, but they have different Item #'s.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/EBC_Pro-Lite_Brake_Rotors_Kawasaki_NinjaEX500R--603963.html

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/EBC_ProLite_Brake_Rotor_Kawasaki_EX500D--603962.html

How 'bout this? Is this for the rear only? What is the difference between this and the regular Pro-Lite besides the contours? Anybody have experience with these things?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details...Brake_Rotors_Kawasaki_Ninja_500R--603965.html

Does either one of these versions (contour vs. non contour) just bolt up with no other hardware or mods required?

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I'm aware of the first unit you linked to, the Pro-Lite. There is another version of that available as a race only with serviceable buttons. It's the same in every other respect. I wasn't aware that they had a Pro-Lite Contour available but it looks good and less money. Hope that helps.

If you have trouble finding one I have a new one still in the box that's my spare. I could ship it to you and just order a replacement. I'd have to check the price but pretty sure it could be matched. PM me if you want to proceed. It's a Pro-Lite as in the first picture.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dad said:
I'm aware of the first unit you linked to, the Pro-Lite. There is another version of that available as a race only with serviceable buttons. It's the same in every other respect. I wasn't aware that they had a Pro-Lite Contour available but it looks good and less money. Hope that helps.

If you have trouble finding one I have a new one still in the box that's my spare. I could ship it to you and just order a replacement. I'd have to check the price but pretty sure it could be matched. PM me if you want to proceed. It's a Pro-Lite as in the first picture.
Hey thanks. How much do you want for the one you have?

As far as the contour version goes, I better stay away from that one. Our rules say that bikes with single front disks can replace the front rotor with after market "OEM like" rotors. Some people may interperate that one way and others a different way and say that the contours are not "OEM like" and make a fuss. I'm chasing contingency money and finishing top 1-3 so better not.

For the one with the servicable buttons: can you buy the outer friction surface when the rotor wears out? Is the cost of just the friction surface low enough to make it worth buying the servicable one? I've heard that the reliability and safety of the servicable ones are not as high as the fixed buttons.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do NOT order it from Kneedraggers!

That is NOT a floating rotor! It's the standard Pro-Lite! They misrepresented the part on their website and admitted it to me. They also can NOT get the correct rotor, I asked!

Trust me, I have that exact being sent back on RMA to them right now. My rotors did the same thing, I found they had the best price, ordered it two weeks before the Loudon Classic only to have a standard rotor arrive two days before the race. Nobody stocks them normally, so order early.

You are looking for EBC part number MD714RD. Just double check on that at the EBC website. A quick Froogle search landed that MAW has them for about $170. Just don't expect it within a week, they are slow as cold molasses going uphill in the winter!

I put one on and it sure is a big difference. My stocker felt great for the longest time, then warped like a dish just like yours.

Also keep in mind that your caliper mounting plate may be bent now, mine is. Even with the full floater my pads glaze over and are a little wedge shaped from a leading edge never disengaging the rotor fully. Check it!

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
If you read my fornt caliper service notes in the FAQ section. you will find a proceedure for checking the alignment of the bracket to get full pad engagment.

FOG

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I sent an E-Mail to my parts supplier to check replacement cost. I'll let you know when I get the answer. :)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
ilikike said:
Ok, here's what I found.

Does anyone see any difference between these two models? One's listed for EX500, and one for Ninja 500. Looks like the same thing to me, but they have different Item #'s.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/EBC_Pro-Lite_Brake_Rotors_Kawasaki_NinjaEX500R--603963.html

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/EBC_ProLite_Brake_Rotor_Kawasaki_EX500D--603962.html

How 'bout this? Is this for the rear only? What is the difference between this and the regular Pro-Lite besides the contours? Anybody have experience with these things?

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details...Brake_Rotors_Kawasaki_Ninja_500R--603965.html

Does either one of these versions (contour vs. non contour) just bolt up with no other hardware or mods required?
the top two links are different P/N, and if i remember right one is for Gen 1 and the other is for Gen 2. the difference can be found >>>HERE<<<. The second link is JUST for the rear Gen 2.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TheIglu said:
Do NOT order it from Kneedraggers!

That is NOT a floating rotor! It's the standard Pro-Lite! They misrepresented the part on their website and admitted it to me. They also can NOT get the correct rotor, I asked!

Trust me, I have that exact being sent back on RMA to them right now. My rotors did the same thing, I found they had the best price, ordered it two weeks before the Loudon Classic only to have a standard rotor arrive two days before the race. Nobody stocks them normally, so order early.

You are looking for EBC part number MD714RD. Just double check on that at the EBC website. A quick Froogle search landed that MAW has them for about $170. Just don't expect it within a week, they are slow as cold molasses going uphill in the winter!

I put one on and it sure is a big difference. My stocker felt great for the longest time, then warped like a dish just like yours.

Also keep in mind that your caliper mounting plate may be bent now, mine is. Even with the full floater my pads glaze over and are a little wedge shaped from a leading edge never disengaging the rotor fully. Check it!
thanks for the help. I checked on the EBC website and from what I can make of that application guide they have it looks like the PN is MD714RS. I'm not sure if that would end up being the same as the RD or not.
MAW has the RD and the RS listed. The RD is $10 more than the RS. I wonder what the difference is........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the RD is the full road race version w/ removable buttons and the RS is the regular floater.
Would the RD be worth the extra $10? I don't know anything about this type of rotor. It is also listed as "not for street use" on EBC's website.

Should I just stick with the normal Pro-Lite floating version? (the RS)

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
The race version has the buttons that can be removed and the street version has those riveted. The factory says the removable one is race only because they want the rider to keep an eye on those buttons and also don't want people who don't know enough about them to take them apart and not get them assembled properly.

The reason for removable is so that with age and the extreme heat that racing puts on the rotor, the buttons can be replaced with smaller ones as the rotor shrinks and starts to bind on the floating buttons. Sounds weird but it's true, they shrink with extreme heat cycles. :)

The new one I have is a riveted type.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both are full floating rotors as far as I can tell.

So how long does the riveted one last before you'd have to replace it due to "shrinkage?"
Is it worth paying the extra 10 bucks to get the serviceable rotor??

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
ilikike said:
Both are full floating rotors as far as I can tell.
Yes, they are.

ilikike said:
So how long does the riveted one last before you'd have to replace it due to "shrinkage?"
Is it worth paying the extra 10 bucks to get the serviceable rotor??
That's entirely subjective but I would expect a LONG time. It's highly unlikely that you'd have trouble with either one as far as the shrinkage goes. The track club I ride with has a properly done suspension on an EX and has the riveted type rotor on it which has been fine for the several years it has been installed. And that is track only use which puts WAY more abuse on brakes than the most spirited rider can EVER put on them street riding. That's how I got on to the existence of these.

For street especially, I'd go with the riveted type as there is no chance of any kind of error or oversight where the buttons are concerned. That's why I have a riveted type. I'm also going to defer to EBC, the manufacturer of both types with the claims on each. Why would they bother making two different ones if it didn't matter. I doubt it's because they had an extra line to fill in on their inventory program. ;) ;D

I have no direct experience with them beyond this and generic experience with a variety of bikes with and without floating rotors. The stock rotors have nowhere for the expansion and contraction to go as they heat and cool so they warp. The floaters that are common now have the design to accomodate that and it works. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FYI I ordered the "RD" version with the replaceable buttons. I was talking with a friend today that races a GS500 that usually finishes right in front or right behind me in our races and he said that he has the floater w/ the removable buttons and he's on his smaller set of buttons already and said that it's shrunken down enough that he thinks he'll just have to replace the rotor after next race weekend. I guess BIR is just hard on brakes.

Oh, and all you EX500 racers reading this post must have jumped on those rotors over at MAW site because I just went to order them, and they were all gone!!!!!
Found them somewhere else though. (Therideshop.com)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't be so sure we "jumped" the right way. I'm still waiting for mine to be done with the "warehouse processing". I ordered it nearly 2 weeks ago from MAW. That place keeps my expectations right where they have always been, low.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm supposedly going to have mine within a week from theridestop.com . we'll see how it works out. about the same price as MAW.
same crappy 5 zillion long parts list you have to scroll through to find your part. but whatever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I'm here to report that even the full floating EBC cannot withstand heavy race use on these bikes.

I bought the rebuildable one; one race weekend and half of this last weekend and the first (set that it came with) set of buttons tightened up. So I replaced them with the smaller diameter rebuild buttons, and they tightened up after some practice sessions and 1 race.
I've also gone through 1 set of pads per weekend so far.

I also sprung a leak in the head gasket I think, since it's overheating and was spewing coolant a little from boiling over.

As a result of all that I managed a 2:01.xx best laptime for the weekend @ BIR. (puts me mid pack with the light weight novices comparing laptimes) 1st places in ultra light novice across the board!!

The money you save on tires is great with these bikes, but the money that i'll have to spend on brakes pretty much off sets that. pads are 30-50 and rotors are about 200.

Sorry guys, but I think it's time for me to buy an SV!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts