Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
What a long post to admit you dont know what we are talking about! Its a hot kitchen, this one, if you cant stand the heat etc. Let the grownups talk please, go and kill things on your Playstation.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
jdugen said:
Let the grownups talk please, go and kill things on your Playstation.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D LMAO!!! Ruthless.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Villain, I don't even know if any of what you said was a compliment but I would be honored to be a member of Team Villain. I have sent you a check in an amount greater than you requested please cash the check and forward $2,000 to me in Nigeria and you can keep the rest as a thank you.

Now lets go play some X-station 4, the zombies aren't going to kill themselves.

·
Registered
832 Posts
TSwami said:
Villain, I don't even know if any of what you said was a compliment but I would be honored to be a member of Team Villain. I have sent you a check in an amount greater than you requested please cash the check and forward $2,000 to me in Nigeria and you can keep the rest as a thank you.

Twas complimentary. I'll be in Nigeria next month, we can arrange for a personal delivery. Don't kill the zombies, the zombies are useful henchmen (in the scourge style).

jdugen said:
What a long post to admit you dont know what we are talking about! Its a hot kitchen, this one, if you cant stand the heat etc. Let the grownups talk please, go and kill things on your Playstation.
And just when I was going to give you credit for the truism of your signature. All positive notions are hereby retracted. You just made an awfully selective leap to glean no more than that from my post. Seems to me that the real grownups are the ones putting these motorcycles through their paces in a real world racing environment, not the ones getting hung up on the theory lesson they just received in school. Nonetheless, it seems you failed to even counter me.

Kill things with a Playstation? Never tried that before. I suppose it could be messier than using my axe, though far less satisfying, aurally.

G

·
The Villain said:
TSwami said:

Twas complimentary. I'll be in Nigeria next month, we can arrange for a personal delivery. Don't kill the zombies, the zombies are useful henchmen (in the scourge style).

jdugen said:
And just when I was going to give you credit for the truism of your signature. All positive notions are hereby retracted. You just made an awfully selective leap to glean no more than that from my post. Seems to me that the real grownups are the ones putting these motorcycles through their paces in a real world racing environment, not the ones getting hung up on the theory lesson they just received in school. Nonetheless, it seems you failed to even counter me.

Kill things with a Playstation? Never tried that before. I suppose it could be messier than using my axe, though far less satisfying, aurally.
That and hes totally wrong in his explanations and is just ignoring physics. Force located in the tire patch lmfao... hard fail. Seems to not understand how a brake works cause he thinks it stops the tire when in fact it stops the rotor which is attached to the tire.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
i think he meant that the pads transfer the force to the contact patch (through rotors/wheel/tire) that results in road traction and braking.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thank you Mr. luco.vico you get two credit stars for your understanding of a complex problem of physics. I'm a bit busy with rebuilding a ZZR 600 (fantasically good bike) so havn't been following things too closely.

The front tyre contact patch is the fulcrum of a lever, the caliper the end of the lever to which force is applied. This force will attempt to move the fork leg around this fucrum. There will always be a difference of forces applied to a fork leg containing this force and the other leg that is not subject to this force. I do suggest that Phil Vincents treatese on motorcycle design is required reading for the understandling of all the forces a motorcycle chassis is subjected too. Telescopic forks aphalled him as a rediculous solution to the problem on so many levels and I fully agree. Take a case in point, a 125cc GP racer. These machines are designed to be as light as possible, and, as such, do not require massive amounts of braking force. But they all have twin disks fitted, even though this affects unsprung weight and contributes to a certain amount of airodynamic drag. They do this to avoid the inevitable twisting forces of a single disk setup.

G

·
luco.vico said:
i think he meant that the pads transfer the force to the contact patch (through rotors/wheel/tire) that results in road traction and braking.
The tire is rolling on the ground. There are no braking forces applied to the contact patch. IE the tire isnt dragging to stop the bike. The rotor is dragging to stop the bike against the pads... Which is balanced in the forces that are applied to it. If calipers just dragged from one side then the twisting motion he speaks of would exist but they dont. They are balanced.

·
Registered
19,489 Posts
A Few facts.
The CF of rubber on anything if almost Identical reguardless of hardness (within the tire grades). Add a lubricant (water) Are reduced to virtually 0

The grip of a tire Is variable according to hardness, Due to the formability of the rubber to wrap itself arounf the pavement edges.

Rain tires work better because they channel the water away and allow the rubber to grip. Eliminate aquaplaning. The extra edges also provide better grip on pavment .

That's about it

FOG

·
Registered
19,489 Posts
OK one other thing from this thread. The idea that a single caliper will cause steering deflection.

False. The foward motion energy of the MC is changed into heat by the caliper. The interaction of the torque ends at the caliper. The load is then taken evenly by the forks and spread through the whole MC.

interaction = (between the tires grip and the caliper friction pads)

FOG

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Sean..one of us is missing something, or maybe I'm misunderstanding you. In my mind the braking force MUST come as a result of your tire traction. Imagine that you caught air on the bike. While you are flying through the air you apply the front brake. You are not going to slow down, are you? Why is it harder to stop on ice? Traction is not as good - traction between the tires and the road surface.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
then do it...or buy a bike that has it. :p

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
luco.vico said:
then do it...or buy a bike that has it. :p
Oh I will be doing the latter soon enough. My other bike has dual front discs. The main reason I would do it is because I like dumping money into the EX and I like unique things even if i'm the only one that really cares.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
That's fair...the ex is a pretty cheap bike - very good value really - but that makes dumping money into it kinda blah for me, considering what %age of the cost the upgrade makes up.

·
Registered
96 Posts
stick a usd radial caliper set up on it dude ;D yes you'll have have more braking than you'll ever need , yes it'll be a major suspension upgrade , but more than that do it cos it'll look way cool 8)

·
Registered
74 Posts
The trouble with the internet is that too many people can voice their views, even when eronious. I dont mind discusion or even contary opinions, but I do become frustrated when completely WRONG information is given, (by those who should know better) as indisputable fact. The GOOD thing about the internet is that Google will usually lead you to the right information.... Try it sometime.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
OK lets just see if he goes to twin rotors then we can point out that i has all ready been done and that for the money he has not gained much more braking. Please save your money and get a floating rotor and some sintered pads even this mod will save you money as you will only have to change one set of pads when they wear out ?

·
Registered
8,424 Posts
i dont get it. If you have your mind made up to do something...even after everyone tells you why it wont help...then why waste everyones time even asking for advice?

81 - 100 of 109 Posts