Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Apologies, i'm going to show my total lack of diagnostic skills here, but some enlightened thought could save me a lot of time. Had a small child pull out the front right hand indicator, so i just popped it back in - fine, i've had issues before with both front indicators coming out of the fairing sockets with no issue. Now when i flick on either right or left indicators i get the fast flashing (dashboard indicators and rear signals) and nothing on the front.

Fuse at the junction box is fine (obviously, the rear ones are still working too), and i've had the multimeter out to test that the right hand side indicator wiring is still ok, and the cable that joins the right and left indicator units is fine as well. The kid didn't really tug at it, so i can't see that the problem would be with the loom further down.

Model is an E10 (UK) Gen2. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
check the bulb and the wiring to that indicator. the stock flasher unit uses the resistance of the bulb to make them flash. reduce the resistance and they stop flashing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers, sorry yes that's what i meant - i've put the multimeter on the wiring going into the right side indicator unit and it's all dandy. In the past when i've had issues with the bulb fitting, I get the fast flashing but the other side still works. I'm puzzled why the left hand side indicator doesn't work this time even though it hasn't been touched.

·
Super Moderator
6,506 Posts

Check to see if the bullet connecters are tight. Not just by looking at them, physically push them together.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I don't seem to have those bullet connectors, mine are the square plastic connectors as pictured below.

I've cleaned and checked the connectors. For the one on the right i've tested the connection with the indicator fitting with the multimeter, i've also checked the connection from that wire to the red connector which is all good. Checked the left indicator connector for fitting, but not with the multimeter as nothing's changed and if it were just that then I know the other would work and i'd get the blinking dashboard (as i've had it in the past on rhs). Anyway, so I think all of the connections in this front section are good. Now comes the really stupid question - when i hook up the multimeter to the other red connector pictured below (on the bike-side which goes into the loom and runs back to the junction box) it seems to complete the circuit across all three pins. I have no idea which one is ground or if the fact that I have a connection indicates a problem?

If that's the case, then any ideas for the best way to try and track down where it's faulty? The Haynes diagram seems a bit useless, and looking at the junction box doesn't fill me with joy. Have checked the fuses and all good.

Any help as always appreciated, even if it's a really basic intro to auto electrics!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
ok bud where to start. well first just to establish some facts. a question !!. from your forum handle and the photos you supplied are we to assume your bike is in fact a UK E10 model. if so there are some things you should be aware of the wiring diagram in the manual is on a separate page. chapter 9 page 28. it is a completely different wiring schematic from all other GPZ/EX's that were produced. many things are different on this bike. I have only seen one other like it.
I won't list all the differences but for your problem we will stick to electrics.
your bike does not (or should not) have bullet connectors they are in fact non reversible square clip connectors.
every connector on the bike is different to any other connector so one block will only fit in one place on the bike.
you can clearly see this in the last post. photo one. the left indicator has a black square connector, but the right indicator has a grey one. so you cannot mix then up.

now going through your posts also photo one. the right (white) connector has nothing to do with the indicators as it is in fact the connector for the side light bulb in the headlight.
the indicator connector is the red one. this has 3 wires a green one (left indicator) a grey one (right indicator) and a black/yellow (earth both indicators). the mini harness (red plug to indicator plugs) has 4 wires as the black/ yellow splits into two earth wires (one for each indicator) there are no blue (running light wires on the bike) earlier models had them but were unused on UK models.

now for general wiring the E10 has a simple system. unlike the E7-9 models that had side markers and hazards fitted. it comprises of 2 components and 6 bulbs. a flasher relay (hidden under the right rear side panel) a handlebar switch and 6 bulbs two in the speedo and two either side (front and back) that it basically.

the power for the system arises in the fuse box from a ignition on a (brown wire) this goes directly to the flasher unit.
as power in. the flasher unit is of the resistance break type (non LED unit) power comes out of the flasher unit as a (orange) wire. this wire goes to the handlebar switch as input. then is diverted left or right by the switch.
left is (green) right is (grey) these wires connect to all the bulbs left or right depending on the position of the handlebar switch. black/yellow is the bulbs earth return wire (as it is on the rest of the bike)
that's it the whole circuit in one sentence. simple yes.

now what to check on the system.
1. the brown wire to the flasher unit has power when the ignition is on.
2. the orange wire shows a voltage out of the flasher unit if the handlebar switch is turned left or right (ign on).
if not check the orange wire going into the switch has power.
3' check the green and grey wires have power out of the switch once it is operated.
4. check for voltage at the front red connector on the green and grey wires (as indicated left or right) and rear connector (easy to find at the rear as it has the green grey and black/yellow wires in it ( not sure of the colour of this connector) possibly a white. black or red one.
check all the black and yellow wires for continuity back to earth.
5 somewhere in the system you will find a break in the circuit or a blown bulb if the flasher is working correctly it should flash about once a second (60 to 90 flashers a minute) if it flashes faster a blub is out if it doesn't flash at all the flasher relay is faulty (proving all the other checks are correct). try all that see what gives and report back if problems found.

oh and before I go what the hell is that cracked bracket near the frame cage (photo 2) just above the red connector.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for taking the time to write that up Yorkie! Very useful, i'll go through it and report back, (once i get a better multimeter too).

On your first point, yes totally understand the white connector doesn't relate to the indicator wiring, i just didn't hold it out of the way while taking the pic.

On the last point I think it is just the angle of the pic, it's the bottom of the bolt that holds the clocks on. Here's a pic from the side. The other fitting is where the plastic dashboard goes around the clocks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK great, have power coming to the red connector at the end of the main harness. The flasher unit is fine and all bulbs tested as working. The issue seems to be with the wire taking it from the red connector splitting it between the two sides (grey and black square clip connectors).

Given what yorkie's said, i'm guessing this is specific to the E10 and after - so unlikely to find spares easily. Fowler's have a part which I think is it (26031-0001?), but otherwise can i just get an older model one and switch the bullet connectors over with replacement square ones?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
yes it is the correct part. and you can use the other general type but would have to cut the connectors off and replace with bullet connectors hardly worth it given the fact the connectors are a upgrade. just make sure that is where the fault lies and not between the connector and the light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts