Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i took my ninja out onto the blue ridge parkway for its maiden voyage under its new owner. It made some severe squeaking noises everywhere from idling at the stop lights to pulling hard through the turns. it was relentless and very distracting... any suggestions?

(ps. its a 2005 with 1600 miles...)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
put it up on the center stand and rotate the front wheel quickly. if it sqeeks, you then know it's something in the rotating assembly. if not, take it off the center stand and compress the suspension. if it squeeks, then you know it's in the fork assembly.

lets get that out of the way first.

·
Registered
19,365 Posts
Slugger, he said Idling at stops, that pretty much narrows it down to the engine. From the engine the only thing that has to potential to make a noise that could be called a squeak would be the water pump. there is a flat ceramic/carbon seal that could chatter. Do you have a good grade of Antifreeze coolant in there? There is also a vacume operated valve on top of the engine to emitt fresh air. These things can squeal too

FOG

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
FOG said:
Slugger, he said Idling at stops, that pretty much narrows it down to the engine. From the engine the only thing that has to potential to make a noise that could be called a squeak would be the water pump. there is a flat ceramic/carbon seal that could chatter. Do you have a good grade of Antifreeze coolant in there? There is also a vacume operated valve on top of the engine to emitt fresh air. These things can squeal too

FOG
I must have misread that. i thought it STOPPED squeeking at stoplights. my apologies.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont think that it is the engine though, when i hit bumps in the road there is a serously loud squeak... the whole time the engine is purring like a kitten, which is a completely different tone

·
Registered
97 Posts
More than likely its your upper fairing making the noise,if it sounds like it is coming from the front of the bike. Mine use to have a loud squeak and rattle to it when it was idleing or going down the road. Mostly just a rattle and a little squeaking when at idle and just squeaking when going over bumps. Might be something to check out. If its doing it at a stand still and you know its not the motor,what else could it be. Check and make sure all the motor mount bolts are tight also while your at it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
my fairing was squeking, it was caused from where the fairing met the tank, the plastic was rubibng and making awful noises. There were some rubber moulding in that spot that I hadn't put back after priming the bike. I pt those back on and the noise stopped.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i already fixed that, i put a thin adhesive rubber strip around the instrument panel and the plastic.... i took it out just now and let it warm up... the engine is performing perfectly. I did find that it was not the suspension. i had tried suspending both the front and rear wheel which resulted in no change. i did, however, accidentally find that the gas tank is causing it... when i touched the front of the gas tank, the sound would immediately stop... that explains why it sounded like it was coming from the front of the bike... any ideas as to what (under the tank) could be doing this... i want an idea of what to look for before i take apart the EX again

·
Registered
97 Posts
The only things that actually touch the tank are, the upper fairing,the 2 rubber insulating mounts where the front of the tank slides into when your putting it back on and the mount on the back of the tank and the 2 rubber pads that the tank rests on,on the frame. The only other things that are remotely close to the tank is the wireing harness,the air valve for emmisions and its rubber hoses,and thats about it. I still think the noise is coming from your fairing like HooliganD said,even if you have the rubber moldings on the fairing it can still make noise because the rubber moldings are made out of a hard rubber that can and will wear right through the paint on the tank. I don't have my plastic painted and on my bike yet so I can't take a pic and really show you exactly where he(HooliganD) is talking about,but I can show you a pic of what is under the tank. Here is a pic for ya.

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks scooby! i took off the fairings and what did i find? but a missing bushing!!! it must have come off when i did the airbox mod... thanks guys!!!

(p.s. just ordered the oem from bike bandit)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts