Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who have replaced the front turn signals - what would you suggest? I'm trying to find a pair that will cover the existing hole for the original turn signals. If not, does anyone know of some sort of adapter or base plate that I can put that will help me out?

And yes I have thought about flush signals and no I don't want to drill holes into my fairing!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also for those of you who do have LED turn signals, exactly how much faster is the blink rate, twice as fast or so fast that it just looks wrong? :p

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I am probably going to do flush mounts, myself.

I typed "flush mount turn signals" into the search box, hit search and came up with a number of posts about it. I haven't had a chance to read any yet, since I just did the search, but that's where I would start your research.

Now I have to read the posts, myself, and decide what to do.
Since my fairing is damaged at one of the turn signal openings, I may just seal them both up and start over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just did a complete turn signal mod. Looks great I went with flush and arrow head LEDs. The first problem I got to was that the plug ins for the stock signals are about a quarter of the size of the new ones. Ended up cutting and splicing wires to use original adaptor. The next and major problem I had was that the stock front turn signals have 3 plugin adaptors and the flush mounts that I bought only had 2 :eek: I even checked compatibility on bike bandit and it said it was good. Guess its really saying (you could "MAKE" it work with your bike haha But after a good about of trouble shooting I got everything figured out. And a word of advise: If your working with wiring and all of the sudden certain light just stop working. Check your fuses!!! Do not just keep moving around and making connections with wires! (Could have saved me two hours of work) Oh and for the blink rate I'd say its about double from stock, maybe just a tad more.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I got some smaller led stem mounts in the front, IMHO better for visibility for other drivers. Then just put some round plastic end plugs from the hardware store in the rear holes. Works best if bike is black, but you can paint the plugs or just leaving them black they are pretty hidden by the turn signal and fairing.

http://www.bikebandit.com/baja-designs-mini-stalk-l-e-d-turn-signals

I think I have these. They are two wire, but you can get them to be always on, then flash on/off for turn. Oh yeah, and had to replace my flasher to an electronic model from the auto store. Cost $10 or $15.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
superjuventino said:
Also for those of you who do have LED turn signals, exactly how much faster is the blink rate, twice as fast or so fast that it just looks wrong? :p
Well beyond allowable limits in most cases. if you replace both the front and rear signals with LED units, it will blink so fast that it looks like it stays on and doesn't blink at all.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Use the TARGA block off adapters for the front and possibly the rear unless you have the fender eliminator. I put Rizoma Zero 11's on all four corners, paint matched the block off plates up front (red), and hooked up the turn signal relay discussed in the wiki from superbrightLED's (not using one is stupid, IMO). Blinks normally, bright as ****, and they look amazing. At $36 a corner from PJ's parts that might not be in your budget, but they look perfect on the bike, are much smaller than the giant stockers, and are MUCH brighter (as in, I hope no one with a seizure disorder stops behind me at night).

LOL i just saw how old this original post is. Glad I could contribute, 6 years later

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
^I'm sure he is still looking for flush mounts lol so...

I bought some flush mounts that do not require any modification to the fairing, but I wouldn't use them alone, they are hard for other drivers to see.

I used them to fill the holes, and relocated the stock signals to the fake air holes. (well I guess they really did allow air to pass but still useless to the EX500)

I bought them on eBay for about $15 dollars, they are pretty cheaply made but I've had them on for about 4 years and had zero problems with them. They are not LED but they are a lower amperage than stock and if you do not replace the relay they will blink too fast. ( I did not need to replace the relay in mine because I have the stock lights AND the flush mounts plugged in)

these ones are similar-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flush-Turn-Signal-Flasher-Bulb-EX500-EX-500-Ninja-94-/270449363491?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3ef809ca23&vxp=mtr

Here are some more expensive LED versions

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rumble-Concept-Ghost-Flush-Mount-LED-Turn-Signals-CLEAR-Kawasaki-Ninja-500R-500-/181149225061?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d55d065&vxp=mtr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts