Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hi, this is a hard one, it depends on what continent your on. the options list of good quality 16in tyres the right size seems to decrease by the day. here in the UK the choice is almost zero confined to Pirelli old value. or the Indian stuff.
a recent search of all EU tyre stockists for a stock size rear for the gen 1 (16in) with the correct speed/load index had zero results. by altering the profile and width requirements slightly I found only two tyres available. good luck I think our US cousins have a little more choice but not much. so my recommendation is whatever you can get. sorry.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I have ridden on Avons, first Super Venoms then AM26 Roadriders. In the rainy Seattle area, so I trusted Avon and have not been let down.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Yea big fan of Avon's.
if you can get them great, the problem is "and I said this was regional" 16in wheels are being superceded by other sizes, as manufactures only seem to want to make high volume tyres 16in ones get rarer. so availability reduces and prices rise.
the only good news for gen 1 owners is that some far east bike makers are now using 16in wheels so as their bikes get bigger more tyres will be available with the correct speed and load rating.
Indian Kendra tyres seem good from reports but I could not recommend them as I have not used them (yet).

·
Registered
1989 Kawasaki 500s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey,has anyone converted to the later model 17inch front wheel,wondering how hard it would be,might give the bike a more stable front end and a wider choice of front tyres.
Have looked around and can get a metzler 16 tyre,

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hey,has anyone converted to the later model 17inch front wheel,wondering how hard it would be,might give the bike a more stable front end and a wider choice of front tyres.
Have looked around and can get a metzler 16 tyre,
Do you really, really want to know ??. well there are two ways one easy one hard, if your lucky enough to live where ER500's are imported and used. all you need is a pair of rims off this model. they fit as a straight swap for gen 1 wheels but are 17in (someone said the rear drum is different) but I cannot confirm this either way.

the hard way is convert the bike to gen 2 wheels. you will need the following. (at the front) wheel, forks, triple trees, front fender, brake hose, possibly also new left side calliper. (note it can be used on the opposite side but the bleed nipple is now at the btm so requires off the wheel bleeding).
at the back. wheel, swing arm, rear calliper, calliper holder, rear brake pedal and MC, of course you will have to buy a set of tyres 17in and seeing as you will probably be using used rims the wheel bearings as well.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
1989 Kawasaki 500s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you really, really want to know ??. well there are two ways one easy one hard, if your lucky enough to live where ER500's are imported and used. all you need is a pair of rims off this model. they fit as a straight swap for gen 1 wheels but are 17in (someone said the rear drum is different) but I cannot confirm this either way.

the hard way is convert the bike to gen 2 wheels. you will need the following. (at the front) wheel, forks, triple trees, front fender, brake hose, possibly also new left side calliper. (note it can be used on the opposite side but the bleed nipple is now at the btm so requires off the wheel bleeding).
at the back. wheel, swing arm, rear calliper, calliper holder, rear brake pedal and MC, of course you will have to buy a set of tyres 17in and seeing as you will probably be using used rims the wheel bearings as well.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No I did not say that please read it again. the 17in wheels off the ER500 will fit. not ones from a 94 onwards.
there is a
huge difference. ok.
the ER500 uses 17in wheels. has a left side front disc. and rear drum brake just like the gen 1.
the gen 2, 94 on needs an almost complete strip down of the front end and rear end plus many parts to convert.

edit, please read this thread. all the info you require is there.
17" Wheels For a Gen 1 GPZ 500S | Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R
I had forgot about this thread on your first enquiry.

·
Registered
1989 Kawasaki 500s
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome, thanks yorkie.been for my first ride since buying it and didnt feel to bad or unstable with the 16 inch wheel.,but gonna keep an eye out for ex 500 wheels from now on.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Will he need speedo drive from er500 as the wheel is bigger so speedo will read slow?
hi, Tbh it's not been reported either way my guess would be no as although the rim is 1" bigger the tyre has a much lower profile by 20% so the rolling radius should be about the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi, Tbh it's not been reported either way my guess would be no as although the rim is 1" bigger the tyre has a much lower profile by 20% so the rolling radius should be about the same.
Thanks - makes sense. So I could safely change the rear (or front) wheel only then the other at a later date when it is available.
I'm definitely interested as I need to change both tyres as they are like new (not gone hard or cracked) but 10 years old.
It makes sense to upgrade wheels in this case, especially it is comes with a good tyre.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
sure no reason why not although most seem to favour doing both as it avoids expense on tyres. don't forget you will also need a ER 5 rear sprocket carrier and spacers not sure if it's the same as the gen 2 one or not but it's different from the gen 1.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts