Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
After I don't know how many months of the mosfet Ducatiman sold me laying on my work bench, I finally got a mounting spot figured out. I have a gen1 and the side panel fairings give you less space to work with than the gen2 fairings, so I had to get a little creative with mounting. Finally settled on the small void inside of the tail fairing. Yes, I know this is where the tool bag is located, but I've never had one and almost always have a backpack with a few tools, so the space is unused.

I did have to modify the frame ever so slightly. There is a small hook that protrudes off an otherwise flat surface for the rubber hold strap for the tool bag that I lopped off. I got the mosfet situated as far back without pinching the wires for the tail lights and license plate light. I then drilled a single 6mm hole in the plastic rear mud guard, ran an m6 bolt through the regulator and the mudguard, snugged it up with a nylon stop nut and that was that for mounting.

The original wiring adapter for the mosfet to the EX wiring harness was obviously too short, so I contacted Ducatiman once more and he graciously made me one to a longer specification and I will be returning the standard length one back. The length of the new one is 15 inches and was just right. I forgot to take a picture of how I routed the wiring, but you can see how it is started here. It runs up and over the top of the frame on the left side of the bike, right in front of the mount for the grab bar, then drops down directly underneath the hinge point for the seat latch and related key lock.

With the original regulator out of the way, I found it to be a perfect location for the remote reservoir for the Works rear shock I have installed, finally getting it out of the way of the side panel fairing. You can also see where the mosfet wiring plugs in with the stock harness. Neat and tidy.

The seat and side fairing clear everything quite comfortably and you can't even tell anything has been modified unless you remove both.
Thanks for the help @ducatiman!

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Saab- a two-fer, very well done!

note to any interested members...I'll be marketing more of these in the future and....

will custom build harness length to your required dimension...just supply me with OAL (overall length)
thus enabling your own preffered alternative mounting options

Note: Mosfets are temporarily sold out, more to follow shortly.

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
a couple Mosfets are back in stock and available... seems a very fair price

Please advise your harness length...based on your preferred mounting location.

Take a good look...provide me with OAL (overall length, measured in inches"

PM for further detail or info.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
a couple Mosfets are back in stock and available...the $99 (shipped, with custom built adaptor harness) seems a very fair price

Please advise your harness length...based on your preferred mounting location.

Take a good look...provide me with OAL (overall length, measured in inches"

If one is planning on an alternate mounting location like I did, it's a good idea to add a couple extra inches on top of your measurements. This is helpful to allow slight alterations in final routing, not to mention a bundle of wires has inherently more mass than a tape measure. My initial measurements were for 12 inches, but I figured real world application would require a tad more, so I went for 15 inches. In the end, if I had gone with 12, it would not have been enough.

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Mosfets are back in stock and available...

Custom built just for you.... harness length to your required dimension...just supply me with OAL (overall length) thus enabling your own preferred alternative mounting options

Take a good look...provide me with OAL (overall length, measured in inches")

Cool running, stable, reliable. A GREAT winter project/upgrade for your "keeper" EX.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
yes, I'll PM in a moment

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
A new item added...a 16" OAL length Mosfet harness. This will facilitate those choosing to mount the Mosfet in the tail section (as Sabnut did). Tail mount can be done either Gen 1 or 2.

When ordering Mosfet kit, let me know standard or long harness...your choice, same price holds.

$120 as of 2/21 regulator and your choice length harness, shipped CONUS

Attachments

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
It is important to note that mounting in the tail section may prevent storage of the factory tool kit. My bike has never had one during my ownership, so I do not know for sure, but it currently sits roughly where the tool kit would go.

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'll soon have a Gen 2 here to examine the tail mount, and to explore further alternative mount locations and methods.

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
At this time, 3 Mosfet kits are available in my stock...each bench tested (ohmeter) then further live tested on an EX500, all pulling over 13 volts at idle...a stable 13.9 at 2000RPM....and running cool as the proverbial cucumber.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I need one. If you send me details tonight, I'll go ahead and buy it tonight. Or I can get it next week, Tues or after. I have a very hectic six days ahead. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
pm comin'

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
^ mischief- I've PM'd you, were you able to receive?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, I don't have enough posts to pm you so I'll text you in a bit. I think I'll go with a tail mount. The mosfet rr looks physically bigger and I'm wondering how it fits where the stock one is. Any pix of the new one mounted in the stock location?

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've just contacted EX500 admin, asking them to perform some tweaks to allow the free exchange of PM's between newer members and site authorized vendors. Hopefully, they'll be receptive and able.

Thanks for your patience and await your contact.

This a pic of a very early, "prototype" basic EX side mount with waterproof connectors, though not my current PNP harness.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah, that's kinda like I thought it would fit. Since I don't have side plastics to cover it up mine needs to fit a little more discretely

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
In that case, the tail mount is the perfect option. I'll send a workorder in to the production department ;D

21 - 40 of 73 Posts