·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
mounting location preference or convenience ....nothing more

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Benefits of the tail mount (long) vs the standard mount (short)?
This actually arose out of my need to find an alternate mounting location because gen1's have narrower side panel fairings and the big Mosfet won't fit in the standard location. On top of that, I am running a Works Performance rear shock with remote reservoir and the best location to put it is along the top of the frame section right where the stock voltage regulator mounts. I found the tail section to be the best spot and my factory tool kit was long gone, so there was nothing there to begin with.

So, if you've got a gen2 with no fancy rear shock, the standard mounting location should work find. If you're running and upgraded shock with remote reservoir an/or a gen1, the tail mount might be the better option.

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
No joke....in the past RR's have been mounted within the airbox (!) in the interest of cooling air flow!
RR's have historically been mounted all over....under tail sections, up front under triples, side mount, under tank, under seat....

In any event, I'll custom make a harness based on your particular circumstances.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
91 Posts
Email Sent....

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
checked, not received? If you choose, you could PM right here instead.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
91 Posts
I hate Gmail recently.
-BK

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
91 Posts
I received it yesterday.

I installed it and took each temp and checked each output at the battery with a multi-meter

The stock unit was 155 deg F at idle for 10 minutes and putting out 14.35 volts. At 2000 RPM putting out 13.97 volts.

The Mosfit looked good nicely packaged and shipped fast and he kept me informed when where and all that jazz. I put it on and it was doing 14.17 at idle and at 2000 RPM 14.25 and the temp was a mear 76 F degrees in a room that was 65 deg F and was revving the bike and letting it idle for at least about 20 minutes. IMO the bike seemed to run better, although it had been sitting for about a month now and was running off of a gravity tank too so that could be just a getting it flowing issue.

Anyway very happy to have a plug and play unit thank you @ducatiman ! I have done them before and did not have the plugs this was nice and worth the money just to have it so neet and tidy. I ended up using rubber and zip ties to attach it to the frame in the stock location

-BK

·
Super Moderator
15,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
glad it worked out, and predict the Mosfet will last the life of the bike. I'll contend the stock units, in summer riding conditions, bake from the inside out. My brother in Florida quickly cooked 2 before doing the swapover.

For @FlipFlop

austin.jpg

Reactions: FlipFlop
61 - 73 of 73 Posts