Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 ex-500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 ex500 that I recently bought a few months ago. It rode kinda half-heartedly at first and after some seafoam it started to get into the higher RPM range and rode just fine the next couple of times riding it.

I just took my permit test and wanted to ride my bike as soon as I passed. To my demise, it started, wanted to bog down unless I gave it slight throttle, eventually died and after a few moments of defeat I noticed a pooling of gas on the pavement coming from the lower cowling and carbs. I looked for the source and assumed it was the carbs and fuel hose. Long story short I took the bike apart, cleaned everything, got a new fuel hose, and reassembled. Now, it wont turn over and there is a lighter-than-usual color in the oil window and it smells heavily of fuel. I am not sure how fuel gets into the oil but here we are. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,556 Posts
The fuel level in the carburetors is too high. The excess fuel is entering the cylinders and draining into the crankcase. More than likely due to faulty float needles, or dirty float needle seats. Your carbs will need to be cleaned and rebuilt. Your quickest and easiest path would be to remove the carbs and send them here https://customcarbservices.com/. If you wanted to take it upon your self to resolve this you can find carb cleaning and rebuild info by using the sites search function.

Reactions: Ihenry8

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
hi. welcome to the forum. try turning the petcock to off every time you park the bike. even for a few mins. you will have to change the oil and oil filter. if the flooding persists do as @bpe said.

Reactions: Ihenry8

·
Registered
2009 ex-500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies, I will change the oil and filter today and see if that helps. If the problems continues I will PM custom carb service asap

·
7,556 Posts

You can check the fuel level in the carbs by connecting a clear tube to the bottom of the carb drain. Then run the tube up the side of the carb. Then open the drain screw with a 3mm allen wrench. The fuel in the tube will rise to the level in the carb.
Fuel level spec is: .5mm above the float bowl mating surface + or - 1mm

·
Fast Old Guy
20,051 Posts
fuel has only one path to the crankcase . A leaky petcock down through a leaky float vale or two over the throttle bridge down the intake manifold the past a open or leaky intake valve. Thats it the engine must be off.

FOG

·
7,556 Posts
^ 2 paths, if you count both cylinders/carbs.

Which reminds me. When doing the fuel level check, you need to do both carbs.

·
Registered
2009 ex-500
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: I didn’t mess with the carbs today but, I did drain the oil/fuel mixture and oil filer. Put new filter on and screwed the drain plug back on but, did not fill it it back up with new oil as I am skeptical to do so just yet. I removed the gas tank and petcock. Upon closer inspection, one of the previous owners had used drywall screws to hold the “RES”, “ON”, and “OFF” metal plate in (this might have done some damage).

I reassembled the petcock to diagram specs and put it back on the tank. While in the OFF position the gas still leaked from the knob and even moreso in the ON position. I am going to order an OEM petcock if possible and see if that resolves the issue.

Surely a new petcock will prevent future leaks but, if problems continue I will 100% PM Custom Carb Service as I am dying to enjoy my first riding experience. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.