Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up, new to the group and new to the bike world. But I know a little. Rode dirt bikes growing up. But anyway. So I just bought a used 09 500r. I cleaned the carbs and replaced float gasket seal and a few other things. So I got it running. Rode it for 3 days. Then today I get home and I got a major fuel leak. It looks like it's coming from the fuel screw. Or the very bottom hole. What do you think I need to do. Or what do I need to gwy to fix this problem. I love riding now. And want to getvher backup and running. All help is much appreciated

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Welcome! A pic will really help out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But as you can see it's everywhere and it looks to me as if it's coming out the fuel screw or the air hole lol at the very bottom

·
Registered
2003 500R
24 Posts
My 2¢ is that the gas looks real gross. I would put money on some crud got in the float and is flooding the carbs.

What I'd do is take the bowls off again, shoot some carb cleaner at the floats until they move freely, wet test the fuel level (if the floats aren't set correctly this can happen again), bowls back on.

I'd also clean the gas tank out and look for rust, also an in-line fuel filter.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
get some small bore clear tubing and do a wet test on the carbs. this will tell you which carb is leaking (or both) it will determine if the fuel levels are too high. if they are the bowls are flooding, so could be muck in the float valves, stuck float. or incorrect adjustment. if both carbs are at the correct level, (level with the bowl join + or - 1mm) it could be the fuel rail "O rings are leaking. this requires stripping and separating the carbs.

Reactions: Ez-500

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,261 Posts
I dunno....judging by the discolored fuel its puking, a carb pull and full clean/refurb/replacing all "consumables" is fully called for. I'd go so far as to say draining/cleaning the tank innards may be a wise idea as well. Clearly, you are on borrowed time.

Reactions: Ez-500

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So know that it's daytime and I thought about it more. It might be an oil leak. Bc of the discoloration and bc I never smelled gas. SMH I just seen that the carb was covered in gas. But the front of the bike is wet to. So it may be oil. Idk. If it's oil leaking that bad. That can't be good.

·
Border Kong
977 Posts
What is the oil level of your motorcycle? The oil level should be measured with the motorcycle switched off, in the central stand, on a level surface. The total amount of oil in the bike is approximately 3.25 liters (less than a gallon). When the amount is correct you can see the oil level about 3/4 of the way up the sight glass on the clutch cover.

If someone measured the oil and refilled at that height with the bike on the side stand then you have about 3 liters too much in the crankcase, which is probably splashing through the crankcase breather, located between the engine and the air box. .. There should be a hose connecting these two points:
Hood Steering part Car Trunk Automotive tire

Without that hose that oil splash is more than likely.

·
Administrator
07 Ducati SS800 '95 Ducati 900SS/SP '19 Honda CBR650R
16,261 Posts
@jorge moros great point! The "J" shaped crankcase vent hose is quite important. Must wonder how many go "missing" on bikes where owners have decided to go with pods. Leakage, to some degree, is assured when its MIA or even loose....whether intentional or not.

Whenever the airbox is disturbed/dislodged the vent hose connections should be checked and assured tight.

OP is yours present? Can't tell from your posted pics.

·
Moderating: Fair & Just
7,556 Posts
Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I changed the oil. And there was alot of extra oil. So I did an oil change. Degreased the motor. Took and took it for a ride. It looks to me like it's coming out the front top where. I'm about to upload some pictures from before I cleaned it. But I'm pretty sure that's where it's com

·
Registered
2003 500R
24 Posts
That looks like a heck of a valve cover leak. Is there a chance the gasket isn't seated correctly? I know when I was adjusting my valves one of the "bumps" fell out of the cover during installation causing a leak.

Maybe pictures taken of the upper part of the engine from the side on the wet side would show us the culprit. Even better if the tank and fairing were removed.

But that doesn't look like it'd be the same leak from before, if it was all valve cover the intake boots would have been wet too.

If you're still not sure where the leak is coming from completely clean and dry the entire engine. Make sure the oil is at the right level. Then only run it long enough for oil to start leaking. You do have multiple leaks though, I would take care of the known one first, the crankcase vent hose.

Also know what you're getting into, don't start a project that'll get you in over your head quickly. You have a running bike now, you won't if you tear everything apart.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did clean the motor and did that. It's coming from the same spot. But I can't actually see anything coming out. Can you post videos on here? I have o e of it running. I'm not planning on taking anything apart. But what should I do to try and fix it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts