Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went in to my garage this morning getting ready to commute to work and i smelt gas. I look over the bike and it looks like the carburator on the throttle side of the bike is leaking fuel. Its hard to tell where it is coming from.

I have a clymers being overnighted to me so i can take the bike apart this weekend. Any ideas on where to start looking. I just got this bike a few weeks ago and right after i bought it I had it in the shop to have the carbs cleaned. The PO had let it sit for quite a while.

PS. the petcock valve was closed so i dont think the problem is there (but i really dont know).

I'll try to get some pics of where the carb is wet but it seems to be along the bottom. I have it up on the centerstand tonight so i'll look at it agian in the morning. hopefully that will shed some light on where the leak is coming from.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Start by checking if the carb drain valve is leaking.. If its only the bottom that's wet, it might be just that.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the carb drain valve the nipple on the very bottom of the carb? If it is then the leak is higher than that. There is was fuel on the sides of the carb all the way up to the seam between the bottom piece and the main body. Is there a seal/gasket there that might be missing/incorrectly installed?

Thanks for the quick reply. Made me go back out to the garage and look some more. I wiped everything down earlier so hopefully tommorro morning it will be obviose where the fuel is comeing from.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
fourflush said:
So i went in to my garage this morning getting ready to commute to work and i smelt gas. I look over the bike and it looks like the carburator on the throttle side of the bike is leaking fuel. Its hard to tell where it is coming from.

I have a clymers being overnighted to me so i can take the bike apart this weekend. Any ideas on where to start looking. I just got this bike a few weeks ago and right after i bought it I had it in the shop to have the carbs cleaned. The PO had let it sit for quite a while.

PS. the petcock valve was closed so i dont think the problem is there (but i really dont know).

I'll try to get some pics of where the carb is wet but it seems to be along the bottom. I have it up on the centerstand tonight so i'll look at it agian in the morning. hopefully that will shed some light on where the leak is coming from.
You have two problems. The petcock leaks( I know you turned it off but unless you have install another tank that's where the gas came from) and a float valve failed on on or both carbs. Both very common.

FOG

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Fog, Looks like i need to do a search on float valves and see what I can do. I imaging the leaking petcock probably will have to be replaced but i'll search on that also.

Seems like i may have to change my oil agian this weekend If i can get it fixed. I imagine some of that gas may have made it into the engine. (which sucks cause i just changed it last weekend). Oh well oils pretty cheap.

Hooligan, Yeah i should probably call the dealer but They've left kind of a bad taste in my mouth. I've had the bike to two different shops in town and neither seems to be able to actually do what i ask.

The first time was my pre-buy inspection. I had that dealer clean the carbs and tune it for an emmissions test. They said they did and said it would pass. It didnt, not even close.

So i took it to another shop a lot closer to my house (the first shop was close to the seller). They charged me an arm and a leg for what basically amounted to them changing the spark plugs and now the carb leaks.

So I dont feel like letting them touch my bike anymore. At least if i'm doing the work i know what's actually being done and who to blame if its done wrong.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adding a wrap up for posterity. And because FOG suggested it in the main forum.

I took the bike apart and cleaned all the carb parts, attempted to set the floats. Put it all back together and it was running worse than ever. This was the first time i had had the carbs off and in hindsight i realize i had set the floats incorrectly.

Ended up nursing the bike to the dealer where they replaced the petcock seals and redid the floats. Guy didn't charge me for the carb work which was nice. After that she ran fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts