Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Bike is a '96 EX500. I took out the carburetors to clean the pilot jets and also installed a fuel line filter.

On the gas tank, where should the fuel line filter be installed? On the gas tank, there are 2 hoses that connect to it near the ON-OFF-RES knob. One goes downwards, the other comes in on the side.

I installed the filter by cutting the hose in half and placing it in line on the one that goes downwards. Now, when I put everything back together, there is no gas coming out of the tank and through that hose. To troubleshoot it, I took the tank out, and removed all the hose connections, and turned it to the ON position. No gas comes out. Is that common?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
You did it right, the small line is a vacuum line the opens the petcock when the engine runs. Suck on that line and fuel should flow. Congratulations you own one of the few properly functioning petcocks in the world.

FOG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a relief that I put it on the right hose.
If i did it right, then how come I don't see fuel coming through the fuel filter? Should I have put some gas into the carburetor when putting it back together?

After putting the carb back in and making sure the 4 rubber seals are secure, what is the correct procedure for starting the bike?

Thanks for the help FOG.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I'm no expert but can repeat what I read (if memory serves).

As FOG wrote, the fuel won't flow until there's a vacuum (low pressure) on the 2nd hose.
Like when the engine is cranking & running under higher vacuum settings.

The carbs should still be full of gas, so it should start like normal, using choke, then the fuel should flow.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
put another small piece of hose on the nipple that comes out the side. if you suck on that hose you should see fuel start to come into the fuel filter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
sibermage said:
On the gas tank, there are 2 hoses that connect to it near the ON-OFF-RES knob. One goes downwards, the other comes in on the side.

I installed the filter by cutting the hose in half and placing it in line on the one that goes downwards.
Not sure if yours if different, but on my 87, the line going down from the petcock is the vacuum line, the one coming out sideways is the supply line. The filter should be installed on the bigger of the two.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yeah. the larger fuel line goes to the bottom of the carbs. the other smaller one goes to the top of only one carb.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dragknee said:
yeah. the larger fuel line goes to the bottom of the carbs. the other smaller one goes to the top of only one carb.
Just wanted to clarify that the fuel filter goes on the smaller fuel line that goes to the top of the carbs?

What does one do after cleaning their carbs & pilot jets to get the bike running again?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
no it does not. sorry if my previous post was unclear.

that smaller line is a vacuum line that operates the petcock. the only thing that goes through that line is air.

the fuel line (the bigger line) goes into the one on the bottom of the carbs. that is the line your fuel filter should be installed on.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
I too had just bought a inline filter and had'nt installed yet ,and was going to ask which line ,I was guessing the larger and think the filter i got is to small 1/4" for the job or is that the right size?

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
yes, it is the larger of the two lines. the one that connects into the T at the bottom of the carbs.

i forget what size mine is.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
zeebodaman said:
What is the big hose on the back of the tank. Is it supposed to be connected to anything?
Nope it just drains the area around the filler cap. should you spill your beer in there.

FOG

·
Registered
76 Posts
midas6t6 said:
The fuel line is 5/16"
Yep. It's also a good idea to keep a length of 5/16" fuel line in your toolkit. If your fuel filter gets clogged for whatever reason while away from home you can simply swap the spare line and keep going.

Regards,
Darren

1 - 17 of 17 Posts