Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike starts if I force fuel in via carb spray ect. I know this is just a fuel delivery issue but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Backstory: pulled in the driveway after a ride and bike was bogging. Made sense, I was low on fuel. I fill it up, it starts but bogs and dies after seconds. If I give it throttle it does immediately. Obviously its beyond being low on fuel. Now it won't start at all unless i spray in fuel or blow in the carb vent which forces fuel ro run out into the carb

Petcock: FINE. Press starter with fuel line detached and fuel sprays out

Carb: Also seems fine. Blasted out jets with carb spray. Needle and diaphragms look fine. Everything moves fine. Floats both move together fine. I have fuel in the float bowl BUT WHY ISNT IT GOING INTO THE ENGINE??
I have never been so stumped on what should be so simple. The fuel is in the bowl, the jets are open why isn't it sucking in fuel?????? HELP

Vacuum lines all seem to be fine.

·
Registered
2009 Ninja EX500r
70 Posts
Have you tried setting up a test bottle like you would if you were getting ready to sync them? Also since all i know is what you said and the pictures... Are you running an air box and trying to start it without an air box?

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
At the risk of getting too technical...if its running when treated with a supplemental spray ...I'll go out on a limb and proclaim somethin' funky going on inside them carbs.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm wondering if you sucked in some gunk from the gas tank when the gas level ran low, and that is still blocking one of the pilot jets. You will really need to remove the carbs entirely to get at the pilot and main jets to inspect/clean.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
I'm wondering if you sucked in some gunk from the gas tank when the gas level ran low, and that is still blocking one of the pilot jets. You will really need to remove the carbs entirely to get at the pilot and main jets to inspect/clean.
Keeping in mind the affected circuits are not at all limited to jet openings (though important) there is more to consider in there. The entire fuel supply ...tank through to carbs must be evaluated.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
OK. I will be the one that states the obvious. it's what your all thinking. and no offense meant in any way.
that bike is due some serious TLC. using the photos as a guide (it's all we have) it's long time since any basic maintenance was done on it. a blast with carb cleaner won't cut it. dig into it and do all the things that should have been done months/years ago. tank off and a proper clean out. carbs off and a full service done checking all the running parameters once done. new air filter. plugs and caps renewed. valve clearances at the very least.

My guess is your issue started with a load of Crap in the tank which when low got fed into the carbs, (no fuel filter) blocking the jets/pathways. and their still blocked. it is possible the bike was running already quite poorly due to other factors but the decline was slow and went un-noticed until it stopped. I don't believe this is going to be a no money fix. this bike is due some serious maintenance work.

just running a bike until it stops then patching it up for while longer isn't the best idea.

·
Registered
202 Posts
New plugs or if you can blast them, (they are cheap) then carburetors off bike, go through them thoroughly, make sure to blow air into the bell mouths to make sure the slides go up/down. Lube your cables, clean you tank out, (probably a good idea to remove the petcock) and add new gas. If you clean the plugs with a media blast, you could do it for zero dollars, with the exception of carb-clean. Nothing to lose really

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Keeping in mind the affected circuits are not at all limited to jet openings (though important) there is more to consider in there. The entire fuel supply ...tank through to carbs must be evaluated.
110% agree. If it were me I'd strip and clean the carbs as far as mechanically possible. I was just trying to think what may have changed that fits the OP's story.

One more test that you can do is drain the float bowls and make sure that fuel is indeed getting to the carbs from the tank.

If it were my bike I'd be stripping and cleaning everything in the fuel system....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I could have sold you my old frame before I dragged it to the curb for the sanitation men. It was a Rhode Island donor bike and had rust up the ying-yang.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
As noted, judging by the gnarly corrosion pictured, bike has been subjected to poor storage conditions (outdoor?) with NO basic cleaning, indicative of overall lack of maintenance .....eventually followed with posting "it won't run". Hardly coincidental.

I'd guess the tank innards have been affected as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As was noted, judging my the gnarly corrosion pictured, bike has been subjected to poor storage conditions (outdoor?) with NO basic cleaning, indicative of overall lack of maintenance then followed with posting "it won't run". Hardly coincidental.
Poor bike. It did not do anything to deserve that treatment. Kidding aside, I have a neighbor that showed me an older Honda cruiser, he had it parked under the rain gutter literally. It had holes through the gas tank etc, catastrophic rust problems. He asked me what I thought. I felt like asking him if he had a canon we could shoot it out of, I instead candy coated it and said, I think it would be too much to repair it. So there it still sits under the tarp with rain getting on it when ever it rains.

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
tank, petcock, carpa-traitors, spark plugs, wires and cap service immediate. Longer term valve clearances.

Corrosion and varnish common, nothing new. Though MUST be addressed as it gets to the point beyond repair into permanent damage. All common sense issues. Example pics

ge2.jpg

petc1.jpg

jack250-2.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have evaluated the entire system. Everything works fine. Floats are good and I'm getting fuel to my bowls. The fuel Is just not coming out of the bowl. Going to try cleaning the pilot jets today.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK. I will be the one that states the obvious. it's what your all thinking. and no offense meant in any way.
that bike is due some serious TLC. using the photos as a guide (it's all we have) it's long time since any basic maintenance was done on it. a blast with carb cleaner won't cut it. dig into it and do all the things that should have been done months/years ago. tank off and a proper clean out. carbs off and a full service done checking all the running parameters once done. new air filter. plugs and caps renewed. valve clearances at the very least.

My guess is your issue started with a load of Crap in the tank which when low got fed into the carbs, (no fuel filter) blocking the jets/pathways. and their still blocked. it is possible the bike was running already quite poorly due to other factors but the decline was slow and went un-noticed until it stopped. I don't believe this is going to be a no money fix. this bike is due some serious maintenance work.

just running a bike until it stops then patching it up for while longer isn't the best idea.
I took everything apart and cleaned it already. I cleaned the tank. Checked the petcock. Took it apart, made sure it pumped fuel under vacuum. I took apart the carbs and cleaned them as well. The only thing I didn't clean was the pilot jets because I didn't have a screwdriver that could get them out. I'm going to do that today though after I but the tools.
Also, I just bought the bike a few weeks ago and have slowly been going through things replacing parts ect. I have no problem spending money when necessary.

My question is, would a single plugged pilot jet or even 2 plugged pilot jets prevent the bike from sucking fuel from the main jets because I can run it on 50% throttle if I spray fuel into the carbs but it won't continue to run its self at 50% throttle. Seems to me like if I can get it to run at 50% throttle it should be pulling fuel through the main jets and should continue running, but that is not the case. Am I wrong in assuming that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have you tried setting up a test bottle like you would if you were getting ready to sync them? Also since all i know is what you said and the pictures... Are you running an air box and trying to start it without an air box?
There is an airbox in it but there is no filter(guy i bought it from said it ran better without it) the air box has been lightly modded. Lines capped ect... can send pics.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There is an airbox in it but there is no filter(guy i bought it from said it ran better without it) the air box has been lightly modded. Lines capped ect... can send pics.
New plugs or if you can blast them, (they are cheap) then carburetors off bike, go through them thoroughly, make sure to blow air into the bell mouths to make sure the slides go up/down. Lube your cables, clean you tank out, (probably a good idea to remove the petcock) and add new gas. If you clean the plugs with a media blast, you could do it for zero dollars, with the exception of carb-clean. Nothing to lose really
Plugs aren't a factor. The bike runs when I use a fuel spray. The issue is that everything works fine including the floats and float valves. There's just no fuel being sucked up from the jets and I cleaned the main jets they are 100% open.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
110% agree. If it were me I'd strip and clean the carbs as far as mechanically possible. I was just trying to think what may have changed that fits the OP's story.

One more test that you can do is drain the float bowls and make sure that fuel is indeed getting to the carbs from the tank.

If it were my bike I'd be stripping and cleaning everything in the fuel system....
The only thing left to clean is the pilot jets. I just don't understand why I can get the bike to pull from the main jets if the pilot jets are clogged.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts