Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
it is possible you have other issues. worth a check. no it is not unusual for the bike to run with a cylinder down after a period of running issues as one or both of the plugs could be wet. or dirtied up. yes they could be out of balance after a carb clean. question have you refitted the airbox yet these bikes don't run well without the box ask anyone who has tried running pods.
Yes, I refitted the airbox

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
UPDATE
So I seem to have gotten somewhere. I ordered the stock exhaust and put that on because mine was 2-1. I cleaned the carbs for a 6th time with carb cleaner and and an air compressor. Everything moves properly, looks clean, and I just don't know how it couldn't be good enough to run the bike. Petcock is delivering fuel. I have an in line gravity filter installed now. The filter seems to have about 50% air in it and iI'm wondering if thats the problem. Fuel is still present though. I took off, seemed fine, but in the higher rpms in ran weird. It seemed extra loud with a tendency to backfire. Wasn't a smooth and aggressive climb. Kind of stumbly and making that lower pitch sound like its only running on one cylinder. But it runs on both down low??? It struggles to rev past 6-8k. Any advice? I feel like I've done everything at this point. I even synced the carbs.

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
"I have an in line gravity filter installed now."

The routing and extra fuel line length needed to facilitate installation of inlines can be problematic, leading to flow problems. Did you deem the filter necessary because of poor internal condition of the tank?

And jetting.....bike previously had a 2-1. Many owners, when "modding", blindly install jet kits
So did you ever confirm jet sizes? Adjustable needles? Jet kit? Or factory spec?
The carb vent fitting is free to fully "breathe"?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I still have the feeling something is amiss here hard to figure it out remotely. but something is definitely not right. for information only my gen1 has a Motad 2 into 1 with stock set up runs perfectly. modding not required.

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
^ agreed

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I still have the feeling something is amiss here hard to figure it out remotely. but something is definitely not right. for information only my gen1 has a Motad 2 into 1 with stock set up runs perfectly. modding not required.
My suspension is shot (racetech 85s coming today) and a bump totally wrecked my manifold so I replaced it with stock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
"I have an in line gravity filter installed now."

The routing and extra fuel line length needed to facilitate installation of inlines can be problematic, leading to flow problems. Did you deem the filter necessary because of poor internal condition of the tank?

And jetting.....bike previously had a 2-1. Many owners, when "modding", blindly install jet kits
So did you ever confirm jet sizes? Adjustable needles? Jet kit? Or factory spec?
The carb vent fitting is free to fully "breathe"?
I just installed it because everyone was saying i should....
I have blasted tons of air through the carb vent hose and it comes out evenly through both carbs.
Pilot jets are factory, ill take a look at the mains tomorrow.
I ordered a new petcock so I can eliminate that as a possibility also.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I just installed it because everyone was saying i should....
the extra filter most are on about is the ZZR 600 rail filter. there is part no somewhere on the forum. it's a very small cone shaped one that fits (tightly) into the fuel rail. this allows you to use the standard length fuel hose which I think is around 8.75in. just enough to go from the rail to the petcock. the issue with standard inline filters is they almost always need a longer fuel pipe to fit. this causes routing issues and can reduce fuel flow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It sounds like the bike is running lean. Have you checked the spark plugs to get an idea of the mixture? You mentioned that the previous owner was running it without an air filter, do you have an air filter on the bike now and has the filter been properly oiled? Try to make one adjustment at a time, that way you will be able to tell which things are making improvement. If adding the stock exhaust helped it may have helped to make the mixture slightly less lean. The inline filter could definitely be contributing/starving the bike of fuel.

·
Super Moderator
15,174 Posts
Quoted from your OP....."Petcock: FINE. Press starter with fuel line detached and fuel sprays out"

Multiple members initailly suggested the entire fuel system needed clean/inspection....which includes the petcock.

And now quoted from your last post..... "I ordered a new petcock so I can eliminate that as a possibility also".

We are trying to help, members are making valid suggestions but YOU are going back and forth, not truly acting on the suggestions. It becomes difficult to believe the content of your efforts. And now throwing $$ at it. Removal, checking and clearing the petcock screens and flow ports (rebuilding using a kit if necessary) would have eliminated this at the beginning of the thread, when suggested.
Furthermore, the jet sizes, choice of needles should have already been scrutinized and confirmed when carbs apart.
Now multiple members have suggested your recently installed inline filter, longer hose and/or routing may be an issue. You moved the goalposts introducing yet another unconfirmed. variable. "I just installed it because everyone was saying i should...." No one here made the suggestion....just who is "everyone"?

Numerous, experienced members here have "been there, done that", making valid suggestions which you seemingly blow off.
50 posts in 2 weeks over a fuel/carb issue which could (and should) have been resolved in a single, long days work.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I detect a hint of frustration in that post. I share it. I believe it was @fog recently said in one post. "if any of us were stood beside that bike it would be running in 10 mins". oh how true. yes we have all been there with a seemingly impossible issue that cannot be solved yet they are solved by careful diagnosis and attention to detail when doing any work on the components while working in a methodical manner eliminating any issues one at a time. sadly this is not happening for some reason. I fear unless this is done this bike will continue to be a non runner for some time yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We all start somewhere, it's OK that you aren't able to get the bike running in ten minutes, take your time and be thorough. That being said, the greatest tool to fixing a bike or a car is your brain. Don't just do things to do them, think about the "why". Simplify what you are doing. Gather information and act based off of what you know. Your having symptoms of poor throttle response. Try to find out why. Are your symptoms due to running lean or rich. Once you know that your lean, try to figure out if the problem is too much air or not enough fuel. If the problem is not enough fuel try to figure out where the fuel stops flowing. If the fuel flows at a reasonable pace and is filling the bowls to an appropriate level then your problem is likely to be further down the line: clogged jets/passages. If it is too much air make sure your vacuum lines are in tact and connected, check the carb rubbers that connect to the engine for leaks, make sure your air filter is in good condition and oiled, make sure there aren't any extra holes in the airbox. This is just an example, but if you use this type of thought process and use simple tests to pinpoint the potential problem you will save yourself a lot of time, money, and effort and will be more likely to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
I'm reluctant to enter this fray, Just a note to try to inject some reason:

Lots of shade tree mechanics, seem to overlook the fact that the bike ran perfectly well with the stock equipment at one time. Instead of adding to the confusion by installing other stuff of unknown quality or performance . Try getting it back to it original state first.
FOG

41 - 53 of 53 Posts