Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Fuel Range? Is 220 miles pushing it?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  ridervfr 
#1 ·
I am wondering if say 220 miles is pushing it if the bike has 300 pounds on it from me and my bags. Is there a fuel warning light? I am considering keeping a small 1-gallon gas can handy.

#4 ·
Where do you plan to be that you may need a gas can? Given the numbers of gas stations in the country you'd almost be hard pressed NOT to find one nearby! Get used to the mileage you get on the bike and reference from there.
But, if you still would rather have a little extra there's always these portable gas containers.

Sanmum Emergency Gas Can Aluminium Fuel Oil Bottle

Search Amazon for these. They come in different sizes.

#6 ·
Where do you plan to be that you may need a gas can? Given the numbers of gas stations in the country you'd almost be hard pressed NOT to find one nearby!
Only true in some places. Get out into Wyoming and you won’t see a gas station for hours. I’ve seen signs out there advertising last chance for gas for the next 350 miles. Same in Nevada.

Also in the Sierras and the less populated parts of California there might be 150-200 miles between gas stations.

My 996 has a minuscule on board fuel capacity. My low fuel light turns on around 100 miles into a ride. I dunno how far I can get until empty, and I really don’t wanna find out.

Last long ride I did and the fuel light came on in the middle of nowhere, it was 17 miles to nearest fuel.

I made it with about a pop can worth of fuel left. I get nervous when I see 50 miles between fuel stop as you never know if a place will be out of fuel or closed, with no way to get fuel.

There are places like that. Yes, places with pumps that do not have a means to pay other than going inside. If the place is closed you’re SOL.

If you’re thinking “nah, no way. not in this day and age.” This very thing happened to me just this past Father’s Day weekend. Here in California. You know, the most populated state in the country?

So, if you’re planning on a long tour that will take you off the beaten path or even just West of the Mississippi on the freeway, take a can of gas or two. You’ll be glad you did, even if you don’t need the gas in the end

#10 ·
Is the bike new to you? Once you ride it for a while you can gauge the range of a full tank. My bike ran out of fuel twice while I was riding it but just turn it to reserve and had plenty to get me to the gas station (won't lie, was pretty nervous about it though). From there every time you fill up reset the tripometer and you have a good idea when you are getting low.

#12 ·
Well even if you just drive it for a few trips that mimic the type of riding you do on the trip and then fill up again you should be able to get an idea as a general rule of thumb. I went 159 miles and used x gals of fuel so that is about Y mpg. The fuel tank is 4.8 gals so... You get the idea. Then again after a few hours I'm sure you'll want to get off and stand up a bit so stopping to top off fuel is a good excuse to do so.

Taking a new bike on a long trip, I like your confidence, I'm probably overly cautious and would want to do a few smaller rides just to make sure everything feels right before I go too far outside of my comfort zone.

#14 ·
I've tested the practical limits of the fuel tank capacity before, did it in an area with plenty of fuel stations so I didn't have to walk far when I ran dry. The total fuel tank capacity is 4.8 gallons, though in practical application, once you've burned 4.6 gallons, the remaining fuel rests in the bottom cavities of the tank away from the petcock. So, I'd say 4.5 gallons is a safe number to run calculations off of. Remember, that number is including reserve. Without turning the petcock to reserve, you're looking at about 3.6 gallons. This is all with the bike on the side stand, filling up until the fuel is part way up the bottom of the filler neck. That is, when the top level of the fuel reaches the bottom edge of the filler neck, keep going another quarter inch or so. The goal here is that when the bike is upright, there will be just a tiny bit of an air gap between the fuel level and the bottom of the filler neck. The gravity feed system on these bikes don't need much air space for the vents to breath correctly.

On to your initial question, is 220 miles pushing it? Generally speaking, yes. Commuting around produces, at least for me, an average of 45-48mpg, which includes a health does of all types of riding. At worst, I'll run dry just after 200 miles. At best, I'll be sucking air right at 220.
For trips with mostly freeway riding at moderate speeds, say 70-75, I typically return 50+ mpg. That would get you past the 220 mark, though not comfortably.
If you're taking back roads and keeping a spirited pace but not totally romping on it, upper 40's is what you can expect, which would get you a little too close for comfort to 220.
For maximum fuel economy, riding at a consistent 55-60mph can net upwards of 60mpg. That would get you well past 220, 250 even. Best I've ever managed was 63mpg. Fuel economy like that would allow you to cover damn near 300 miles on one tank.

Lastly, if you're in a pinch and you've run out on reserve and the next station is only a mile or two away, there's one last trick up the sleeve. A small amount of fuel will get stuck in the lower right side of the tank. If you lean the bike way over to the left, that will allow most of that fuel to slosh over to the left side where the petcock is. This will allow you an extra mile or two, 3 if you've got a tailwind.

#17 ·
Is that possible? just asking, I run this bike at 7000-9000 when ever I get on the highway. I am getting better not running at 10,000 though. I went up one gear on the rear sprocket and have the stock front sprocket. So, maybe 17-43? don't quote me though cause I am too lazy to walk out to my garage. New motor runs nice as old one gave up at 40,000 miles or so. Almost a one owner bike, nice for what it is really. MPG can vary from high 20s to high 40s for me. No reserve petcock either. Peace

Attachments

#16 ·
Just finished up a late eve ride. Bike started sputtering at 240miles showing on the trip meter. Twisted it to reserve and pulled in the garage at 253. My kid rode the bike for about 140 miles with very little highway. Mostly back country roads with minimal stop and go and little to no traffic I finished it off with about the same kind of riding, 220 if you aren't caning the life out of it is totally do-able. 17-41 gearing just to throw that out there. Just make sure your reserve petcock circuit is functioning properly and you're good to go.

#19 ·
It was an RK chain kit, I thought I was getting stock gearing but the rear sprocket was 42 along with the front which was/is 16. (can't keep track of some stuff though all my vehicle maintenance is logged into a book.) I noticed the revs are slightly less on the road. I have had this combo for years and a decent amount of miles.
Out here, the average flow of traffic is fairly high, so yeah, 90 MPH most of the time. I try to be nice to the bike as I like it, so I don't hold it at 110/120 too long. It does hit 125MPH on the beginning of the ride (not commute) if the air and wind is just right. Good running EX (they are all different regarding same make/model/year imho.) Peace and happy safe riding.

#20 ·
@ridervfr, just so you know, 16-42 is stock for gen1's. Despite the rim size being an inch smaller on the gen1's, the overall tire diameter is slightly larger on a 130/90-16 than a 130/70-17, so Kawasaki went down a tooth in the rear to compensate with the introduction of the gen2. So, you did get a stock kit, just not for your generation.
High 20's for fuel economy is honestly pretty terrible with these engines. Lowest I ever got was way way back in the day when I stupidly set a personal time record between Santa Rosa to Davis late at night. That trip involved a good deal of high speed and high engine revs, particularly when I hit interstate 80 and pegged the thing at 90mph, so engine was turning somewhere around a consisten 8500-9000rpm. I got 38mpg and that's the worst I've ever seen and one of only less than a handful of times I've clocked in under 40mpg. @Hugh Mungus is right, keeping it under 7,000rpm will net the best fuel economy and is much easier on the engine.

#23 ·
I used to use this bike on a 35 mile one way commute out in the everglades, I left early in the morning and would come home by 4PM. I would run this bike at triple digits the entire way, it used to take around 35 minutes give or take. Very few traffic lights and it was the kind of trip if you made the lights, you would not come to a stop the entire way. I used to feel a little bad running the bike at 9000+ RPMs but a guy is gota do what a guys gota do. Thats when I used to get high 20s gas mileage.
After I quit that job, I would use this bike locally where my gas mileage soared to close to 50 mpg. I never really cared that much about mileage, I would use it to base engine condition mostly and just a curiosity thing.

#21 ·
yes I completely agree with @Saabnut that is stock gearing for a gen 1. on my cruiser the gearing is 16/38 which suits that bike better. but the tyre size is 100 front 120 rear. here in the UK if you manage to score a 130/90x16 rear tyre you have just won an Oscar or have golden gonads. I have never been a fuel watcher though. just look in the tank if I see fuel there is enough in it other wise it's off for a fill up. 200miles seems about right to me.
the last trip I did on the cruiser was 175miles on one tank full without using the reserve. and that bike has a slightly smaller capacity tank think it is 4 gallons (18ltrs).

#22 ·
Took of cover earlier (anal - plus I have time on my hands) it has a 17 - My VFRs have 17s but I would not have bet you just because I don't gamble ; ) Took the time to clean the area nicely. Its an 04 just for grins.

When i used to road race these bikes I would swap the rear sprocket for the two different tracks I ran on. Peace and happy safe riding/wrenching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.