Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Does anyone have a fuel tank for sale for a 1996 bike?
All the ones I have found for sale are rusty inside.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
yeah they are a bit scarce over here. good news is all tanks fit all models. may be a case of find the best one and clean it.
it's possible. my tank was awful inside but cleaned up really well. not sure the guys in the US could help much even if you could get one the postage would be prohibitive and then there is the special handling for containers that have had fuel in them. don't ask how I know.

·
Registered
541 Posts
It depends on the level of rust. Obviously, deep pitted rust bordering on perforation is a no-go. But, light to medium rust can easily be removed by a number of methods. I had a fairly rusty Ninja 250 tank that I cleaned up the electrolysis method (I'd never done that before, and I like trying new things), and it turned out surprisingly good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Get a gallon or 2 of apple cider vinegar, fill up the tank, shake it well, let it sit 10-15 minutes, do it again as many time as needed until satisfied.

I did this to mine when I first got it and it had sat for 13 years. Cleaned up very well until there was only some light pits I could see. Cleared up like 95% of the rust in the tank and any larger chunks came loose and came out when rinsed. When I was done with the vinegar I removed the petcock and made sure to rinse the tank out well, and all the rust bits came out from where the petcock mounted.

Fairly inexpensive DIY tank cleaning I would try before getting a tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Get a gallon or 2 of apple cider vinegar, fill up the tank, shake it well, let it sit 10-15 minutes, do it again as many time as needed until satisfied.

I did this to mine when I first got it and it had sat for 13 years. Cleaned up very well until there was only some light pits I could see. Cleared up like 95% of the rust in the tank and any larger chunks came loose and came out when rinsed. When I was done with the vinegar I removed the petcock and made sure to rinse the tank out well, and all the rust bits came out from where the petcock mounted.

Fairly inexpensive DIY tank cleaning I would try before getting a tank.
That's what I'm talking about. Going to do that. Thanks for the write up of the process

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Might also look in Spain or Italy, much less humidity and less rust there. Shipping is still the deal-breaker.

Reactions: Euanskawasaki
1 - 6 of 6 Posts