Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post! :)

Well, this morning my 2000 500R wasn't doing that well. She wouldn't stay running barely even with the choke fully on. I let 'er run for awhile and then noticed that some liquid was dripping underneath from the left-side exhaust just where the shiny coating of the muffler starts. I just turned off the bike and went to work by cage. :(

Any ideas what to check first? I was thinking lack of spark? Although I don't know if that would shoot gas through to a small exhaust leak or not.

I don't have a shop manual yet - I just got this bike two weeks ago. First bike, first issue. ;)

thanks for the help,
Jon

·
Registered
440 Posts
There's a weep hole thereabouts to drain and condensation in the cans. But gas? Sounds like you're firing on one or have a problem where an exhaust obstruction (new mouse storage silo for example), fouled plug, etc. are causing incomplete combustion. That's the only way some gas would get that far.

How long was the bike sitting before the problem? If you just got the bike did the PO give you any idea of when last plug replacement, valve job, air filter cleaning and other maintence have been done? You're probably going to have to pass on a little more info for someone to be able to zoom in on the problem.

Oh and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Another good possiblilty is a stuck float in the carb, which is filling the carb, then the engine. This is serious if it is the trouble. An easy way to check this is to smell the oil in the engine- smell like gas? If so that is your most likely problem. Others are, condensation is mixing with the carbon and smells like gas where you see the drip. Let a drop hit the ground, move your bike and try to light the drop oon fire. If it lights- it's gas. If it does not, it is water and carbon. The poor running in that case can be a billion things, but the running barely on choke and not at all with choke off suggests dirty carb clean (search). Check plugs too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the replies, guys. i pulled out the plugs and they were pretty fouled. Once I replaced them, the bike ran well again.

I'm going to have to adjust the carbs now, though. Then sync them, too. :) I guess this just showed me that I have a slight exhaust leak, too. That's all right, though, makes the bike sound a little tougher. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts