Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I rebuilt my carbs and put it back on. Charged up battery. Cranked her on. She turned on for like 5 -10 seconds. I saw fire shooting out of exhaust . And decided to stop trying to turn it off . Somehow gas is getting on top of my soark plug just one side. The gas seems to be mixing with the oil . This happened before but i thought it was due carb lines being lead incorrectly. What could cause the gas to get on top of my spark plugs ? Fire coming out of exhaust , gas mixing with oil. Pictures below.

* note when i turned it on it made like a bubbling sound. Idk if that has to do with anything

*note i noticed the coolant tube that is next to the spark plug well was not pushes down and seated all the way. Maybe it was water not gas? It smelled of gas I think.

i took the spark plugs out and the liquid fell into where the piston is. I manually turned the engine to try to push it out but it didnt. My dumb head should have blown it out with compressed air before taking the plug out. I’ll probably need to change the oil as well again.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
1. it is impossible to get gas on top of the plug unless it is coming from a leaking fuel tank. So it has to be water/coolant besides you can see the plug is rusty so it has been leaking some time.

2. it is coming from the coolant tube beside that cylinder. passed the O ring on the tube. note. the hold down screw for that tube is missing should be a 6mm screw.

3. the plug hole has filled with water/coolant because the drain hole is blocked. (notice the cut away in photo 3 down near the seat) that drains away through a hole drilled into the head 2 or 3 fins down you can see it on the outside if you look this needs clearing out so the plug wells drain.

4. nothing you can do about the water in the cylinder you could try turning the engine over on the starter.???? it will clear by it's self once the engine is running. (if you get it running).

5. flames out of the exhaust Dunno perhaps ignited un burned fuel sitting in the pipes you have thrown a lot of fuel around up to press. should clear it's self once the engine is running long enough to burn it all out.
note. suggest you have a fire extinguisher handy just in case.

as a side note. I think you are beginning to realise why it was so cheap and why members are telling you to do one thing at a time. not just pass over things or you are going to go back and forth. this issue should have been addressed at the trying to get a spark stage.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
replying to your response by numbers

1. your probably right , i just smelled gasoline and saw a little on the bottom of the carb float bowls. Which lead me to believe it was gas but in betting your right its probably water.

2. yes the tube wasnt set all the way down, i pushed it down and it clicked into place. Ill secure it with the 6mm as you stated.

3. ill see and look into how to clean the drain hole.
I have never done so.

4. ill have to look into turning to engine of from the starter all I did was turning the turning it with a ratchet and socket connected to the flywheel. A little came out.

5. yeah i was thinking maybe it was left over fuel from my previous mistake. It was a very small flame. The exhaust pipes are off so that could have something to do with it too. I wouldnt have been able to see any flames if i didnt take the exhaust pipes off like before ( picture below )

* your right I do need to do things one at a time. I did not realize this was apart of the spark plug phase phase. Any tips on cleaning the drain hole. If not its okay ill dig into my manual or internet to learn how. Youve been more then enough help. I truly do appreciate all the input 🙏🏼

Attachments

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
yeah. the drain hole must be blocked. if you look at the side of the head between the fins 2 or 3 down you will see the hole. it's about 4 or 5mm in diameter. clear it with a bit of stiff wire. note you would be surprised how many newbies take the plugs out look at the plug seats and say I've got corrosion in my plug wells how do I fix this. because that is what it looks like (photo 3) or they say I have coolant leaking down the side of the engine. both are why the drain is there so the plug wells do not fill up around the plugs and short them out. routine maintenance while doing the plugs.

I had not realised (you never said) the exhausts were off. so yeah you will have flames and it will be dam noisy too bet you are not in a quiet residential road. if I ran my bikes without the exhaust I would have the neighbours round carrying baseball bats. and they would want to play ball know what I mean.

regarding the "i just smelled gasoline and saw a little on the bottom of the carb float bowls" you did of course do the wet test on the carbs prior to fitting didn't you. to make sure the float levels were correct and there were no leaks from the float bowl gaskets or fuel rail. the carbs should be as dry as a bone on the outside with no leaks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah. the drain hole must be blocked. if you look at the side of the head between the fins 2 or 3 down you will see the hole. it's about 4 or 5mm in diameter. clear it with a bit of stiff wire. note you would be surprised how many newbies take the plugs out look at the plug seats and say I've got corrosion in my plug wells how do I fix this. because that is what it looks like (photo 3) or they say I have coolant leaking down the side of the engine. both are why the drain is there so the plug wells do not fill up around the plugs and short them out. routine maintenance while doing the plugs.

I had not realised (you never said) the exhausts were off. so yeah you will have flames and it will be dam noisy too bet you are not in a quiet residential road. if I ran my bikes without the exhaust I would have the neighbours round carrying baseball bats. and they would want to play ball know what I mean.

regarding the "i just smelled gasoline and saw a little on the bottom of the carb float bowls" you did of course do the wet test on the carbs prior to fitting didn't you. to make sure the float levels were correct and there were no leaks from the float bowl gaskets or fuel rail. the carbs should be as dry as a bone on the outside with no leaks.
Yorkie , you were right its water and the carbs are dry as a bone. It was the fuel line leaking from the petcock i tightened the clamp. The engine seems to make a bubbling noise when i turn it on. But yes IT TURNS ON AND STAYS ON. I wish i could attach a video file to show you on here. Still concerned about that bubbling noise. And yes OMG it was louddd too loud crazy loud. I still need to adjust the idle and more and more , but it was finally nice to actually hear the engine running :):):) im happy about that accomplishment

·
Super Moderator
6,415 Posts
Upload the video to youtube, then you can give us the youtube link.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Remember I took off the exhaust so it does sound choppy. And I need to replace one spark plug well probably both since I am doing one.

-Video 1 is me cranking it and hear the bubbling sound. It wanted to turn on but didnt quite turn on yet.

-Video 2 is engine running ON WITHOUT EXHAUST PIPES. I am still concerned about the bubbling sound

Video 1.

Video 2.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
sounds like a EX without the exhaust on. all that popping and gurgling will go away when you fit the exhaust and get it sealed. well done so far you now need to sort out the running issues and get it set up properly then it should start first time every time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thank you for all your support and advice! I will install the exhaust back on, replace plugs, and do another oil change . I need to work on the front side electrical as well. Im getting my seat reupholstered in Mexico.

my next somewhat big project is the brake system. I already took off the calipers painted them with high heat paint red. Disassembled. I need front and rear brake caliper kit for seals and what not and pads.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sounds like a EX without the exhaust on. all that popping and gurgling will go away when you fit the exhaust and get it sealed. well done so far you now need to sort out the running issues and get it set up properly then it should start first time every time.
🙏🏼 Sorry for this long message🙏🏼

I turned the bike on about 3 times today for a couple minutes i let it idle. Now the bike doesnt want to turn on again:/ I installed the exhaust back on and didnt want to start. So i took the exhaust back off and it didnt want to start. It does sound like its trying. Things i noticed where .1. The negative battery terminal started to spark a little while i kept trying to crank it and when i touched the negative battery terminal it was hot. Maybe its cause i tried so many times to crank it on. Plus i did leave a battery charger on for a longggg time and its on now cause it started to die out while constantly trying to turn it over. 2. The spark plugs where a tad bit wet. I took them out and dried them up and tried again no luck 3. I drained the oil it looks like water mixed with it but I checked my radiator level and the water level didnt go down do im hoping and thinking it was residual water. I put new oil . Still nothing. 4. Gas was low so i added some and still nothing. The bike was left on RESERVE on the petcock idk if thats a bad thing. Any ideas?

Im thinkinh change the plugs
Let battery fully charge
Im just not sure why it would turn on pretty easy before the few times it did and now nothinh :(

PS ive attached a video to this reply that shows exactly what it happening while I attempted to start it.

·
Super Moderator
6,415 Posts
Did you get the fuel level in the carbs fixed?
I thought you had a non-vacuum petcock (I cant remember)? Needs to be off at all times when the bike is not running if this is the case. Did you get gas in your oil again?

This is the correct fuel level.
I'm guessing yours may be running a 1/2" or more higher.

Reactions: Joemarroquin28

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
yes I agree we never established if the OP ever did a wet test like that. or did any type of balancing or carb adjustment.
note for the OP. you still have multiple issues that need addressing. you have to sort this starting and running before moving on.
1. you need the exhaust on. and sealed correctly with new gaskets because you have to be able to start and rev it without waking up the whole of Mexico. (joke)
2. the negative lead should not spark or get hot. symptomatic of bad contacts or loose connections you will have to disconnect them clean them up and make good.
3. I am still not convinced that your battery is big enough 12amp MIGHT be ok on a good starting nice running bike but yours is anything but easy starting and good running. multiple starts of long duration will flatten it too quick. even though it turns over if the volts drop below 10.5volts it will not fire the plugs. could be your reason for wet plugs.
4. if you don't have a vac operated petcock you must turn it off when and every time you stop the engine or it will flood it.
5. a small tender to charge the battery isn't really good enough. the best way to charge the battery is by letting the alternator and RR do the charging. but until you get it running and check the charge rate this will have to wait.
6. to be honest at this point in time I feel you are too concentrated on the whole picture without understanding that small issues can cause other problems like having enough power to start it. a good enough spark to kick it into life and badly adjusted carbs that prevent it run smoothly. and no exhaust all this stuff is important.

I have popped a short vid on U-tube I did this morning to show you how a bike needs to start and run. from cold every time. bear in mind this bike has not ran in over a week was stone cold and the temp in the garage was just above freezing (it's mid winter here) the last bit of the vid is the battery charge rate straight after starting.

·
Registered
19,468 Posts
"The negative battery terminal started to spark a little while i kept trying to crank it and when i touched the negative battery terminal it was hot."

COmon man the bike is screaming at you to clean and re tighten that battery terminal.
FOG

·
Registered
232 Posts
Agreed!

But I think it will probably work better if he puts the battery back in the bike, and doesn't use all those jumper wires.
I also couldn't see a fire extinguisher in the video...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys are absolutely right. I did not do the fuel level check. Bench check on carbs. Weird thing is today the bike cranked on first try . I did not turn off the petcock . I need to concentrate on the smaller things and not the bigger picture. Battery , spark plugs, proper bench check to carbs. I suppose in sense i need to STOP trying to cut corners and do everything properly to the T. By the way bike sounds nice yorkie. I see how it is with the cold start . I also like that digital readout you have !

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get the fuel level in the carbs fixed?
I thought you had a non-vacuum petcock (I cant remember)? Needs to be off at all times when the bike is not running if this is the case. Did you get gas in your oil again?

This is the correct fuel level.
I'm guessing yours may be running a 1/2" or more higher.
i need to do the fuel level check 😅

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"The negative battery terminal started to spark a little while i kept trying to crank it and when i touched the negative battery terminal it was hot."

COmon man the bike is screaming at you to clean and re tighten that battery terminal.
FOG
Cleaned terminals and tightened

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed!

But I think it will probably work better if he puts the battery back in the bike, and doesn't use all those jumper wires.
I also couldn't see a fire extinguisher in the video...
I do have a fire extinguisher 🧯 there just cant see in video

1 - 19 of 19 Posts