Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
If the petcock still works then you won't leak. Before taking off the tank remove the fuel line to the carbs from the petcock and bend it down into a cup to get the little bit of gas in there out.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Work on concrete and keep some rags around. It's amazing how much blacktop a spilled MC tank of gas will eat! Also amazing how my father avoided having a stroke when he came home that day and saw what I was up to on his drivaway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
When the tank is removed, how does one empty all the gas from the tank?
I have to get my tank relined because the stuff is peeling off.

·
Registered
343 Posts
sibermage: There are several ways to empty the tank:
1) remove the petcock entirely (should be two screws on the bottom, drain gas out of the hole
2) put the petcock on reserve and apply vaccum to the vaccum line to drain the fuel out the fuel hose
3) ride it till the gas in gone ;)

Once I was helping a friend clean out his gas tank so he could jb-weld some leaks it had (it was an old tank that started leaking when I dropped it).
After draining the tank as much as I could, I was rinsing it out with acetone to remove what I couldn't pour out. He suggested I clean out the last bit of gasoline by putting a blowtorch into the tank. Needless to say, I declined to take his advice. I like my eyebrows.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Open cap, pass lit match across open cap. Done. Beware there may be some side effects.

FOG

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would go for #3 but I just filled up 2 days ago and need to bring it in so that I don't have stuff clogging up the carbs.
For option 2, which hose is which ??? So, what you're saying is, if I apply suction to the vacuum hose, gas will start flowing out the fuel hose?

jcs said:
sibermage: There are several ways to empty the tank:
1) remove the petcock entirely (should be two screws on the bottom, drain gas out of the hole
2) put the petcock on reserve and apply vaccum to the vaccum line to drain the fuel out the fuel hose
3) ride it till the gas in gone ;)

Once I was helping a friend clean out his gas tank so he could jb-weld some leaks it had (it was an old tank that started leaking when I dropped it).
After draining the tank as much as I could, I was rinsing it out with acetone to remove what I couldn't pour out. He suggested I clean out the last bit of gasoline by putting a blowtorch into the tank. Needless to say, I declined to take his advice. I like my eyebrows.

·
Registered
23 Posts
FOG said:
Open cap, pass lit match across open cap. Done. Beware there may be some side effects.

FOG
I too like my eyebrows. And with the price of gas right now, that doesn't sound like a good idea ;D

·
Registered
343 Posts
sibermage: Yes. The fuel hose is the big one that points down, the vaccum hose is the smaller one that comes in from the side.

·
Registered
23 Posts
So I decided to just remove the petcock as it was easier :)

When I removed the petcock, there was only 1 tube (yellow stick thing) on the part of the petcock inside the tank. I always thought there was 2 hoses (ON & RES).

Now when placing the gas back in, I want to filter out the junk (in case there is some). Can I use a coffee filter and a funnel to pour the gas in or is that a bad idea? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
530 Posts
You can go to any auto parts store (NAPA, Advanced Auto parts etc.) and buy a cone funnel that includes a filter specifically for fuel use. I don't know how well a coffee filter would work, it may be too fine or too coarse (probably to fine) the media may degrade, and take a long time to filter the fuel. The filter/funnel combo is only a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
FOG said:

FOG
FOG I think you should put a warning with your post. Some people may just do that.......

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
exandy said:
FOG said:

FOG
FOG I think you should put a warning with your post. Some people may just do that.......
I did. The part about the side effects. Besides if they do it I've done the world a favor, in ridding it of a liability.

FOG

1 - 15 of 15 Posts