Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there aftermarket gaskets for the 500ex? I need a new head gasket and valve cover gasket but they're 65 and 35 dollars respectively.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I'm sure a search on ebay will provide results but honestly I recommend going OEM. By the way, you have your prices switch, the head gasket is cheaper than the valve cover gasket, which has always struck me as odd with these bikes. 35 bucks is dirt cheap for a head gasket, especially OEM, so just buy it. As for the valve cover gasket, 65 is a bit much and why I've never talked myself into buying one. They're typically reusable numerous times. The key is cleaning the mating surfaces really well on the head and valve cover, though the gasket tends to stick to the valve cover when removed. The half moons at each end of the cam bores will remain stuck to the head as those get a bit of RTV from the factory so pop them loose so the whole gasket comes out with the valve cover.
After cleaning before reinstall, lay down a thin layer of RTV in the half moon bores to help the half moons on the gasket seal.

There are additional gasket you will need when doing a head gasket. You will need the cylinder base gasket and water pump cover gasket at a minimum. The water pump base plate gasket may or may not need to be swapped, depends on how chewed up it get upon removal or if it tears. It doesn't seal much but the gasket must in place to provide proper clearance between the impeller, base plate and cover. I recommend replacing the oil seal on the back side of the water pump base plate. Coolant likes to weep in behind it and corrode things pretty good. Also get a new mechanical coolant seal, it's the spring loaded one between the pump base and impeller. You will also need the cam chain tensioner gasket (if you have a gen2. If you have a gen1, get a gen2 tensioner), though RTV will work just fine for that.

I know you've probably already got the part numbers for the valve cover gasket and head gasket, but I'll provide those in my list here of part numbers anyways.

11009-1483 - Valve Cover Gasket
11004-1159 - Head Gasket
11009-1640 - Cylinder Base Gasket
11061-0277 - Water Pump Cover Gasket
11061-0276 - Water Pump Base Gasket
92049-1215 - Water Pump Oil Seal
49063-0002 - Coolant Mechanical Seal
11009-1858 - Cam Tensioner Gasket

I do highly recommend OEM gaskets, especially for the water pump housing and base, clutch cover, flywheel cover and oil pan if you ever need those. The composition is different than the paper aftermarket stuff, it's a metal compound of some sort and is superior to the aftermarket crap, plus it's far easier to remove down the road and I've actually been able to re-use the flywheel and clutch cover gaskets of that style before.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts