Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

Gauge Clusters/Meters

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  dragknee 
#1 ·
As far as gauges and meters go for my 2002 500R, what are the options I have, besides finding an old stock one to use? Thanks!!

#6 ·
Is it much complicated to install it ?

how many input wires are there on those ?

Is it a hassle to tune it ?

Which model did you end up picking ? (none for Ninja 500)

#7 ·
surge2k said:
As far as gauges and meters go for my 2002 500R, what are the options I have, besides finding an old stock one to use? Thanks!!
I built a small compact cluster last week. It has a speedo and small led warning lights housed in a black electronics box. I'll post a picture today. Might build a similar box for the tach.

#11 ·
i sure can. :)

what ive gathered from what ive read about it, you can use your stock speedo drive, or you can use their magnet (like on a bicycle) which supposedly is more accurate. ill probably end up using that.

other than that i think you just have to wire everything else in. i.e. turn signals, hi beam indicator, neutral indicator, oil light etc. i think there are wires for each of those on that speedo, so you just have to find the wires that go to that on your bike and connect them.

ill probably order it monday or something :)

#22 ·
Me too. Like I said, from what I've read online I guess you just cut the wires on your bike and then connect them to the appropriate wire on the gauge. I ordered the magnetic speedo pickup in lieu of the mechanical drive that is on our bikes. I figure it should be more accurate...

When it gets here and I install ill take lots of notes and pics :) :)

#23 ·
dragknee said:
I ordered the magnetic speedo pickup in lieu of the mechanical drive that is on our bikes. I figure it should be more accurate...
It will also give you more flexibility for it's placement, I've found the limiting factor for the installment of my cluster was the speedo drive cable being too short.. If it wouldn't have been for that, the meters would've been mounted to the handlebars..

I'm pretty sure the rest will be quite simple, it's only a matter of connecting the right wire at the right place. I have no idea how the magnet setup would go. Neither than the calibration of the engine temp or the speedo ???

#24 ·
There is no engine temp on the one I ordered. As for speedo calibration, what I read was that you place it at a certain spot on the wheel and then dial in the circumference at that spot and it can figure out the rest.

I may hook mine up to a fan or something so I can get 10,000 miles on the clock lol. That way I don't have to say milage unknown and mark odometer discrepancy on the title :) :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.