Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I took my bike in for its 600 mile service. I noticed a few days later when I forgot to put in ear plugs that I was getting a rather loud gear whine when in gear and decelerating at a stop sign or light. Thinking maybe it was the chain I checked it. They did tighten the chain a little but its still within spec. I cleaned it and put on some 90W oil thinking maybe it just needed to be cleaned but no difference. I have since noticed that if the bike is taken out of gear or the clutch is held in that you don't hear it at all so its not the chain. So it must be something in the transmission. You don't hear it when you excelerate as far as I can tell. Thinking maybe it always did it I tried again with ear plugs and yep I can still hear it clear as day.

Is this sound normal for this bike or is something wrong? If its wrong what could it be? Its noticeable but not really bad. If its just the way it is then its cool but I am trying to figure out if its a possible problem. The bike runs better then ever.

For the 600 mile service they did adjust the valves and synced the carbs, changed the oil and filter, clean and lubed plus adjusted the chain and a general nut and bolt check.

The dealer says bring it by so they can have a listen but said the older Kawasaki motors tend to be more mechanically noisy then the newer stuff. Since I also own a Concours and a KLR I can believe that. Its just strange I did not hear it before the service.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
They probably made the chain too tight.
FOG

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get about 2 inches of slack but its not a loose 2 inches but 2 inches with some resistance. So the chain might be a hair tight but I did not think it was dangerously tight. I will back it off and see if that helps. I got a torque wrench and even a laser chain alignment tool for my other bikes.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Laser Alignment tool? This we gota see. discribe.

FOG

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Nice but all it does is align the back wheel with the chain or the front sprocket.
What you really want to do is center the rear wheel with the steering head. This is how you get the best roadhandling. That gaget only addressesw chain or sprocket wear. Read the String thing in the FYI section.

FOG

·
Registered
722 Posts
their site said it was for wheel alignment also. couldnt copypasta since they blocked it with copyrights.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is the little tool I have. I paid $84 for it last year but its totally cool and gets lots of use by friends and myself. Honestly if you get the chain exactly aligned using this tool then it will be as aligned is it needs to be. The laser beam is so tight you can literally get it perfect.

This morning I readjusted the chain. Its now just a hair loose according the specs but a little to loose is better then a little bit to tight. The adjustment bolts are really sensitive. 1/2 turn and the chain will go from tight to loose and all over the place in between. Its a bit of a game getting the chain slack correct and perfectly aligned and then have it stay that way when you tighten down. Its not hard but takes some time and trial and error.

The good news is the gear whine on decel is now gone ;D

The bike seems to run a little quicker as well but probably in my head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts