Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am thinking about running a taller rear sprocket. My front is -1 now, and I kind of want to go +3 in the back for fun. Anyone run gearing like this, and how noticeable is it?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Just do some creative "searching" (box in upper right).
There's a topic or two that have already reviewed this.
Maybe the basics of swapping gears would be deserving of a sticky?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
You will get a significant boost in acceleration, maybe even do rolling wheelies! You will be running at higher RPMs, and your MPG may suffer as a result. lots of people re-gear for different reasons.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
maverick9611 said:
i have a 14 tooth used 1 week for trade for a 15 tooth. anybody got one?
Are you running a new chain and rear sprocket? I ask because somewhere in my garage I have a used 15t, I believe. Just figured I'd throw it out there, although finding it might be a different story.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
smithmax said:
So I am thinking about running a taller rear sprocket. My front is -1 now, and I kind of want to go +3 in the back for fun. Anyone run gearing like this, and how noticeable is it?
I'm running a 15/42 setup (pretty much -1/+1 for the newer bikes), and I really like it. The only downside I've found is that you run out of revs a little sooner. It's not really a problem, you just have to get used to shifting at a slightly lower speed. I still get about 52 mpg with this setup (and probably need a tune).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm running 15/42 as well, and it's fairly fun. Although I apprently need a tune up because I'm only getting ~43mpg :/

·
Registered
253 Posts
smithmax said:
why are you changing back up?
trying different things. i liked the 14 but wanna try the 15 to c the difference. why u got a 15? since i commute alot the 14 was not good for the commute. but hotdoggin, that's a different story!!!low and midrange was quite explosive

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard rumors that going down 2 in the front might be a bit excessive (too small of a radius). But if you haven't had any issues, maybe i'll look into going down one more up front.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If I recall, the way it went was that anything under 14 would just eat chains, and 14 was okay but harder on the chain than 15. FOG is the expert on it, though, I just go on hearsay and get calculations off my spreadsheet.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm trying to think how it could be harder on the chain. Does it pinch rollers in some way? Because the decreased radius shouldn't be an issue (the rollers don't have bend-angle limits). Maybe I'll just experiment with different set ups and write up my experience's.

FOG: does running a 14 pose any danger to the chain? I can't really imagine all of the manufacturers producing a sprocket that would be dangerous/damaging.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
smithmax said:
I'm trying to think how it could be harder on the chain. Does it pinch rollers in some way? Because the decreased radius shouldn't be an issue (the rollers don't have bend-angle limits). Maybe I'll just experiment with different set ups and write up my experience's.

FOG: does running a 14 pose any danger to the chain? I can't really imagine all of the manufacturers producing a sprocket that would be dangerous/damaging.
Technically yes, wether is rises to the point of mattering , I can't say I have run a 14 front for some races. but I deemed the best ratio for short track races where the top speed is under 100 MPH to be 15 44

FOG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts