Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

anyone here ride both generations? I was having a hard time sleeping last night and checked out the first generation fairing. From a pure looks perspective I noticed the Gen 1 front cowl seems to be more suited for a commuter bike. The space on the sides allows for placement of usb/12v chargers or a clock etc. It also has the advantage of being able to keep the headlight on in the event the cowl is unusable for some reason. There are the obvious disadvantages of fewer windscreen/mirror options, almost no aftermarket replacement options, and an older style dash.

So my question is, when switching between the two, is there a noticeable difference in wind resistance when riding at any speeds?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
very good question. I pondered long and hard on this very issue. personally I prefer the gen 1 front end it's neat and compact and as you say wide open for extra bits in the infills but I dislike the rear those short side panels are PITA the tabs always break. and they never seem to fit neat and square. on the other hand the gen 2 front is more open catches more wind or seems to. although it rattles a lot less than the gen 1 I think that is down to way it mounts and the gen 2 fairing cage is stronger and stiffer.

my solution to this was use the gen 1 front end while using the gen 2 rear. yes it's a compromise but it suits me ok.
while the bike frames are almost identical there are differences not so much in construction but where some of the brackets are placed each to suit the kit fitted to the bike marrying the front to back was not easy but I cheated and moved them.
the side panels on the gen 2 are deeper by 5mm and a slightly different profile to the tank.
this causes issues when clipping the panel to the tank and trying to get the frame bolt in which is 5mm too low.
in order to fix this the tank has to be raised by 5mm (washer suffice for this) but then the front fairing profile is wrong answer raise all the front kit by 5mm problem solved.

the gen 1 seems more streamlined as a whole catches less wind but does not offer as much rain in the face protection as the gen 2. but while the gen 2 screen is sculptured to the fairing the gen 1 screen can be home built using light Perspex.
side mirrors are an issue on the gen 1 no others seem to fit like they do on the gen 2 you never get away from the elbow view. suppose one could alter the frame mounts to gen 2 spec but I never tried. I just fitted a rear view camera and left the mirrors as is. only issue is when the sun is behind you then the screen is unviewable. then it's Owl neck time.

in all I prefer the gen 1 style but the gen 2 is a better bike with all the gen 1 gremlins sorted. was I to build another one it would be stock a gen 2 definitely.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, for me it would be fitting a gen 1 fairing to the gen 2. I agree, I kind of like the profile better on the gen 1. But that won’t be a consideration for a few years. Maybe by then I can get things how I’d like them on the gen 2 fairing!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
yeah it's not easy takes a lot of planning and brain ache oh and time. it is only when you look at the differences between generations you begin to understand. it is far easier to list what is the same and that's a short list. there are no off the shelf bits to help it's all home fabrication then there is what to leave and what to alter if ya keep the gen 2 clock set nothing fits off the gen 1 front. swap it out for gen 1 clock set and all the electrics are wrong. and the list gets longer the more you alter. best have a long hard think about it couple of years should do it. lol. o_O

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
oh and I forgot to mention. putting it here may be appropriate although there is another thread running this.
perhaps having to lift the tank 5mm to make the gen 2 side panels fit could be the reason I had no issues with the manual petcock fouling the frame, as others have mentioned.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Having owned a gen , I liked the mirrors better to see behind you. Wind about the same.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts