Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Here's the deal. I have a bone stock 87. No complaints at all, except for the 16" wheels. Just not as good of a selection of tires.
I have the opportunity to pick up an 03 with Gen I plastics and upper including instrument cluster. It was a theft recovery that was missing the plastics, fairing, cluster, and seller says some wiring. Bike has carb issues right now that I am not stressing over because I am a mech and do all of my own work.
Question is will all of the gen I stuff work on a gen II bike without it being hacked together (specifically the cluster wiring). Do all plastics line up, or will they fit funny?
Mileage is unknown because of cluster change.
Price is the only reason I am considering it.
Going to look at it this weekend. If it checks out, and all paperwork is straight, may get it.
Talk to me.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
the tach is where I see a problem being likely because the two generations use different cluster setups, and ignitions. the bodywork, wouldnt be a problem most likely, but the gauges would. I"d rather have 2nd gen gauges anyway, they look more modern, and better.

·
Registered
19,635 Posts
Consider it a Parts Bike for CHeap. and swap the wheel forks and brakes to the old one and then sell whats left.

FOG

·
Registered
216 Posts
Personally I would get a gen 2 cluster and complete wiring harness and keep the electricals gen 2 stock. When you have a problem it is really nice to have a wiring harness that actually matches a wiring diagram.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've just had over 24 hours to think about it (just got off duty) and I think I'm just gonna let it go. Mine runs fine and besides I would have to sell one of them anyway (I'm only allowed one toy at a time ;))

1 - 5 of 5 Posts