Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I picked up my first Ex500 and it's turning out to be a complete nightmare. The previous owner neglected the taste out of this thing.

I have to check the Vin but SUPPOSEDLY the bike is an '87,but he said it has a 2007 engine. I'm just highly doubting this is the case. The guy is an entire hack job.

Now I've gotten an opportunity to buy a very nice condition 2009 Ex500 which has a blown motor.

WHAT exactly needs to be done in order to run my existing engine (assuming it's a Gen1) , in the 2009 bike?

Thanks in advance. I'm going later today to check out/pick up the 2009. I'm curious as to exactly what "blew up"

·
Registered
19,242 Posts
you will need to change the flywheel and the cover of the of the new bike to you old engine to make it compatible with you ignition system of the ew bike.

FOG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you will need to change the flywheel and the cover of the of the new bike to you old engine to make it compatible with you ignition system of the ew bike.

FOG
What needs to be changed about these pieces? I'm trying to make sure it's not a super advanced task since I'm brand new to these bikes.

·
Registered
602 Posts
oh dear another one. sorry for the remark but seeing as how you do not know what you have or what's been done how are we supposed to know.
if the circumstances are as a described Fog's answer is correct but it gets more complicated if your not correct does the supposed 87 run has it ran since the engine was changed is the 09 a complete bike.
which bike do you have the title for. what is wrong with the 09 all these things are important.
until you have both bikes side by side and post some photos we will never know.
there are some pointers you could look at has the 87 got 4 or 5 fins on the head a stock 87 will probably have 4 later they had 5. if the engine in 87 runs and indeed it is a 07 engine it will have been modified to run the 87 electrics. these have to be reverted to the later spec to run in a 09. we need more info buddy if you get the 09 bike come back and show us what you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think they went to the 5 fin head in 91 but retained the old ignition system until 94. Hey Fog, do you remember? An 09 will be the new stuff all around. Removing the flywheel isn't difficult. I made a tool which holds the flywheel and then cut down a 20 mm axle from a larger Japanese bike an welded a nut on it. The threads are the same as the threads in the center of the flywheel. ( I didn't have a puller or anything to hold the flywheel with so I made the tools I needed). Just remember: Old ignition system, old flywheel and cover. Conversely, new ig Sys, new flywheel and cover. The wiring harnesses are not the same, old and new, so everything has to match up. It will be a PITA the first time but it gets easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts