Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '89 EX500 that I purchased this past winter for my wife. It is now roadworthy and she has ridden it a little (new rider) but is having some trouble with the reach to the clutch lever.

I know at some point, adjustable clutch and brake levers were added to the EX.

Does anybody know if these will work on my '89? I imagine I would need the perch with the clutch but am not sure whether it would be a direct swap or not.

Thanks!

Darren

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Not sure , but I have a new one (went with chrome). If you find it does PM me . Have you tried looking up the parts # . Also where are you located ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Located in Cincinnati.

The part#s are different, I imagine due to the adjustability so I'm not sure. I can't seem to find a clear enough photo or diagram to tell so was hoping somebody had tried it.

Thanks!
Darren

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
In the morning I'll look at my Clymers and see if I think it will work . If so I'll send it to you to try on your word that you'll send it back if you cant use it . Deal ?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lucky#13 said:
In the morning I'll look at my Clymers and see if I think it will work . If so I'll send it to you to try on your word that you'll send it back if you cant use it . Deal ?
Deal.

I'll send a PM with my contact info.

Thanks!

Darren

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Keep us updated on your progress.

I got a 1990 and it'd be sweet to have those ajustable levers ;D

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Got a replacement for my broken adjustable brake lever (little dial- yes) a the local shop... $25 or so.
The plain lever was just $10-15... if memory holds.

Seems like there ought be an inexpensive way to adjust the reach for these things.
Somebody needs to send up our equivalent of the Bat-signal: The FOG-light! 8)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hmmm.... Google isn't finding suitable pic for a FOG light.
Looks like I'll have to draw my own! How to do that on the computer... Hmmm, letsseehere...

OK, got it! :eek: Had to upload it to my PhotoBucket thing... 8)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought a complete clutch/perch assembly off eBay yesterday. Will let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Sweet !

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did we ever find out if these levers would work on the 1st gen's? Or do you need to replace the holder on the bar also?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The one I ended up getting on ebay wasn't worth the effort to mount and I've just forgotten about it. I can tell you that you definitely need the perch as well but I don't see any reason you couldn't use the entire clutch/perch assy from a Gen2 bike on a Gen1.

Regards,

Darren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts