Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After crashing and trashing the EX last race weekend last season I was a little concerned about finding enough parts at a good price but that worked ok. There was also pressure to “upgrade “ to a new more modern bike. But I am stubborn and I really want to keep battling with what I started on. I understand this bike from the huffers to the puffers and get true joy from riding and wrenching on this wonderful bike.

I found a complete donor bike with a spare frame. It’s a 94 with 3100mi on the clock. The engine has low compression but I did the check with temps in the 30’s so we’ll see if it’s any good. I’m going to throw it in while I wait for parts and the machine shop to finish up with the original engine.

As for progress. The swing arm has new bearings and the unitrack got some new (old) bushings. I ordered a rebuild kit for the Penske and when that arrives I’ll yank the shock back out and freshen it up. New Pirelli Supercorsa’s on the rear and front. The steering heads bearings were replaced with All Balls and the forks got fresh 15w Bel-Ray. I installed new bushings and seals mid way through last season.

I still need to find a fuel tank as the one on the donor bike was junk. Maybe I’ll find a way to use the smashed one.

I’m going to adjust valves and change the clutch springs on the donor engine before I swap it out. Hopefully it’s running by New Year’s Day.

More updates to come 6E0F6326-FA8A-4753-A462-CA19D1F7DFC2_1577582568346.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update #1
I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the engine when I opened it up for the valve adjustment and clutch spring swap. I think I have a good one. The odometer shows 3100 miles and I believe that to be accurate. Went for a spin up and back on my street and all ran well. Carbs need adjusting and the power seems good when it was getting enough fuel.

I need to wire in my Solo 2, oil pressure and neutral lights then there are a few bolts that need safety wired. After those items I’ll get busy with the fairing, windscreen and paint.

The only parts from the original bike are the forks, wheels, carbs and chain.
The fuel tank is not useable although it doesn’t leak. I did find a new fuel tank for it so that’ll go on when it arrives.

It’s a relief to see progress towards the finished product and the junk parts making their way to the scrap bin.
Last spring I had I bike that I felt I did too much work on. This spring I hope i do enough.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts