Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I picked this up some time ago but wanted to wait until I’d used it as is to give an experience based review.

1st off, this bag is small. I mainly got it to use on a daily when I don’t need to tote anything but insurance and registration....and maybe a sammich.

I think it works well for this. However, I really did not like the security strap as it does not work well with all or really any of my bikes.

After a week or 2 of use, I actually pitched it to the back of my gear locker. I didn’t even take it out again for several months.

Then, I had a rare moment of clarity and concluded that it would be a great tank bag if I ditched the strap. So I did.

I cut the strap off save for about 2” worth on each end. My thought being I may reattach it later if my solution proved ineffective.

That solution was to install some magnets at the front end of the bag.

The 1st attempt was not as effective as I’d hoped. I cut the seam inside the bag and pulled the foam bottom out a short way.

Then I cut 2 small reliefs and hot glued in a pair of thin powerful magnets. That worked but not as effectively as I’d like.

After some thought, I removed a large magnet from an old tank bag that hadn’t seen use in probably 25 years.

I installed it in the same manner as the two smaller magnets but farther forward and in between those 2.

The result is exactly what I was looking for as it now sits securely on the tank of all 3 of my daily riders. For the purpose I bought it for, it now works perfectly.

I just think that Givi should have made it this way in the first place. Given that they’re a premier luggage manufacturer and all.

I guess the bottom line is, would I recommend it? If you care to spend the kind of money Givi wants for it and are prepared to modify it; then yes. If not, then I’d say pass and choose differently.

Reactions: Elsevere and kensei

·
Registered
425 Posts
All good if you don't care about the paint on your tank. The problem with tank bags is they inevitably wind up grinding road dust into the paint while you are in motion. With a magnetic bag the magnets pick up iron oxide grit and each one turns into a mini sanding pad if you aren't anal about wiping them off.

I gave up on mine (which was a nice Cortech) and wound up tossing it in as a deal clincher the last time I sold a motorcycle. Plus the magnets were useless on my old Bimmer which has an aluminum tank, lol.

Not trying to be critical here, just pointing out that they do have a downside. But they sure make it easier to swing a leg over the bike compared to a tail bag. Now if I was going to ride to Tierra del Fuego and back and use up the motorcycle in the process......

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode for years with magnetic tank bags without issue....and I worked in a heavy equipment repair shop. Lots of metal work went on in heavy equipment and only once did I find any metal shavings stuck on a bag.

Then I got my Aprilia. Stock, it came with a plastic tank made by Acerbis for Aprilia. After a dozen or so years of ownership, the tank started to off gas through the plastic. It caused the decals to bubble.

Not much after that, the tank swelled and got misshaped from the ethanol in the fuel. I finally replaced it with a steel tank from a slightly earlier Mille. And right about then, I realized how much I missed magnetic tank bags.

Strap on tank bags are a royal PITA and I’m never going back to one if I can help it. I even turned my old Marsee strap on bag into a magnetic bag. Also, with 3 daily riders, all with steel tanks it sure is easier to just use the same tank bag all the time. Once the project 900SS is complete; I can use it on that too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts