Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a streak of hard rubber from the heel of shoe glazed over on the exhaust probably from when I was getting on or getting off. I tried using chrome polish, but it doesn't seem to help remove it. I'm sure there is some chemical out there that can remove the glazed rubber without damaging the chrome finish.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
rubix777 said:
I have a streak of hard rubber from the heel of shoe glazed over on the exhaust probably from when I was getting on or getting off. I tried using chrome polish, but it doesn't seem to help remove it. I'm sure there is some chemical out there that can remove the glazed rubber without damaging the chrome finish.
Don't be to sure that your going to find a chemical to disolve vulcanized rubber. Remember the black stuff that they made corks out of in the lab bottles with hydracloric acid and such in them? gues what it was.

Your only shot is abarsion.

FOG

·
Registered
221 Posts
Goo-gone or WD40 might work on a cold exhaust. If its a spot that really heats up and gets gooey after a ride try scraping it gently with a wooden popsicle stick to get the bulk off, then use the above products. I had this problem once on my 350 and as I recall I used my thumbnail and lots of patience. Don't use anything flammable on a hot exhaust. ;)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Jason said:
I hear orange clean is really good, and a brillo pad if its not real shiny.
My '05 has stainless exhaust covers... scratched w/ a scotchbrite pad.
Don't use any such stuff unless your bike's exhaust is chrome plated, or you want a gunmetal look.

·
Registered
722 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Jason said:
Don't use any such stuff unless your bike's exhaust is chrome plated, or you want a gunmetal look.
did you use the metal pad, or the green ones?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Jason said:
MrSciTrek said:
Jason said:
Twas a Greenie.
If I could easily get a consistant mini-scratched look I might like it.
Maybe I need to just "haze one" different ways until I find a look that's cool.
Wish I knew what the actual terminology was for the micro-scratched look. ???

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
MrSciTrek said:
Jason said:
MrSciTrek said:
Jason said:
Twas a Greenie.
If I could easily get a consistant mini-scratched look I might like it.
Maybe I need to just "haze one" different ways until I find a look that's cool.
Wish I knew what the actual terminology was for the micro-scratched look. ???
'Brushed' is the term your looking for .

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, the glazed rubber now matches the scraped exhaust I got from getting bumped from the right by a truck and lowsiding on the left side. I got into an accident with a truck as it was backing out of the driveway and was bumped going 10-15 mph. I survived with a really bruised up and roadrashed knee, but I'm out of the ER. :-\ It's amazing what doesn't get scratched when you lowside the 500R. My whole left side fairing is untouched since the exhaust and barend took most of the scrape. My next biek might probably another 500R.

I don't think the glazed rubber will attract more attention than my broken turn signal and scratched up front cowling. :mad:

I'll remember the tips for my next bike. :p

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Keep the wounds clean & the bandages changed, eh?

ANother example of having to ride... well, paranoid: dangers everywhere.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Make up remover works wonders for some of that tough stuff even chain lube. Mascara is just expensive road tar.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hey guys, I found a way to remove it. just lowside the exhaust on the side you want the rubber removed.... :-[

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
See I told you Abrasion

FOG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts