Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26805152/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26837590/

Saw this on the local news :(.

WBAL-TV
updated 7:30 a.m. ET, Mon., Sept. 22, 2008

GLEN BURNIE, Md. - Police in Glen Burnie are investigating an accident involving a motorcycle and a truck that sent two people to the hospital. Just before 8 p.m. Friday, investigators were called to the intersection of Furnace Branch Road and Welham Avenue.

Both 35-year-old victims had life-threatening injuries, according to investigators who are trying to determine what led to the accident.

More on the same event....

WBAL-TV
updated 7:45 a.m. ET, Tues., Sept. 23, 2008

GLEN BURNIE - Anne Arundel County police said that a fatal crash Friday involving a van and motorcycle was a hit-and-run.
Watch: 11 News Reporter Jennifer Franciotti

Ronnie Winston Workman, 48, died in the crash, police said. His passenger on the motorcyle, Jason Michael Workman, 28, is being treated at Shock Trauma.

The crash occurred at about 7:48 p.m. Friday in Glen Burnie.

Police said a van traveling north on Furnace Branch Road was going to make a left turn onto Wellham Court. A 2002 Kawasaki motorcyle began to overtake the vehicle on the right side, and the van abruptly turned right and hit the motorcycle, police said.

The van left the scene, according to police, who said Ronnie Workman and Jason Workman were wearing protective headgear.

Witnesses described the van as an early 1990s model, Chevrolet or GMC van, light blue or white in color. The van was described as having a white ladder rack on top and was last seen heading toward Ritchie Highway on Wellham Avenue.

Anyone with information is asked to call 410-222-8573 or 410-222-8610.

When my girlfriend saw the bike on tv she gasped... I hope no one from the forum was injured in this terrible event.

If you are religious please pray for the families. According to the news he was a father of 2 young girls.

Ride safe.. and always beware of the cage!!!!

-Ed

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wonder if there was any other gear other than just helmets.

Hopefully the one guy pulls though. I bet you the van "ran" because he didn't even realize he hit anyone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be safe to say that they were not wearing the appropriate gear... Sadly, most of the riders in MD don't gear up.

I am thankful that we do have a helmet law in this state. Makes me cringe enough seeing people riding in tee shirts.

S

·
0 Posts
That bike has distinctive paint on the front end. Who wants to look through the "Let's see your bikes thread" to find out if they're among us? If they are, perhaps we could send something to them/their family as a group?

S

·
0 Posts
I ended up looking through, too. There is one red bike where the guy put white lightening bolts on the front of his red bike, but not the same. Not everyone has put pics in there, though.

I hope they throw the book at the van driver and make an example of him/her. I don't understand peoples' lack of conscience sometimes.

S

·
0 Posts
My condolences go out to the families. I hope they catch the guy in the van. I'm curious to know if they were wearing anything other than a helmet and the circumstances of the injuries, because it seems something like this would be survivable with all your gear.

·
Registered
107 Posts
edsexy said:
It would be safe to say that they were not wearing the appropriate gear... Sadly, most of the riders in MD don't gear up.

I am thankful that we do have a helmet law in this state. Makes me cringe enough seeing people riding in tee shirts.
"The van left the scene, according to police, who said Ronnie Workman and Jason Workman were wearing protective headgear."

Gear will only help so much. When you slam into a pickup or other solid object and your neck snaps, or your spine crumples, it won't!
That said, I still gear up too!

S

·
0 Posts
I'd say with full leathers, gloves, helmet, boots, and back protector, an angled impact to a vehicle would be survivable. It would still **** you up, but it should be survivable.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Lets all take a moment to remember how easy it can be to have everything taken from you and someone on the back................................ RIde like your (and a passengers life) depend on it!!!!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
For those saying full gear would have saved them, please take the time to realize the man was pushing 50 and the woman nearly 30
"Ronnie Winston Workman, 48, died in the crash, police said. His passenger on the motorcylce, Jason Michael Workman, 28, is being treated at Shock Trauma."

As we age our bodies are much less capable of repairing themselves and surviving traumatic injuries.
An 80 year old man wearing a Michelin-man costume wouldn't survive most crashes.

It's tragic thought, I hope she survives at the least. This reminds me of the BMW that tried to run me off the road on sunday.
If you live in/around Ohio (columbus) AVOID "DIRT M3".

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Kahooli said:
For those saying full gear would have saved them, please take the time to realize the man was pushing 50 and the woman nearly 30
"Ronnie Winston Workman, 48, died in the crash, police said. His passenger on the motorcylce, Jason Michael Workman, 28, is being treated at Shock Trauma."

As we age our bodies are much less capable of repairing themselves and surviving traumatic injuries.
An 80 year old man wearing a Michelin-man costume wouldn't survive most crashes.

It's tragic thought, I hope she survives at the least. This reminds me of the BMW that tried to run me off the road on sunday.
If you live in/around Ohio (columbus) AVOID "DIRT M3".
Maybe it's just me, but it looks to me like a father out riding had his son on the back. I mean, I'm all for equal rights for women and all that, but I've never met a woman named Jason.

We have the same issues here with riders though, honestly to a lesser degree than some other places I've been. Last night I rode to our local bike night. It's really just a bunch of guys who get together and shoot the bull. Sometimes, no one even rides there but we still get together. Anyway, as I'm riding up to an intersection, I see this Kawi Green ZX-6 go by. I pull out behind in time to see the rider leaving the next stop sign. Beyond that is a major intersection with a traffic light so as I pull into the left turn lane I see the ZX-6 rider sit up at the stop. He's wearing a helmet, t-shirt and jeans with some Etnies. No gloves, no jacket, no boots. It was pretty damned chilly out too. I wore my mesh jacket with the liner and was a bit chilled only a few minutes from my house. I don't get it. It would seem to me that as soon as it was a bit chilly; common sense would dictate you put on a jacket. I hate to stereo type too because I see this more and more from people who are old enough to know better. This kind of thing indicates to me that the rider is more concerned about appearing "cool" to the opposite sex (or the same sex if your into that) rather than being into riding. Maybe I'm just too old to understand but I'd rather be that and safe than have exposed parts of my body ground into hamburger by the asphalt rasp......sean

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Apriliarider said:
Kahooli said:

Maybe it's just me, but it looks to me like a father out riding had his son on the back. I mean, I'm all for equal rights for women and all that, but I've never met a woman named Jason.
You got me. I must've been thinking about "News Reporter Jennifer Franciotti" and transferred that to being the passenger in my head :-/

R

·
0 Posts
Most of the riders around here don't wear gear. The cruiser guys tend to wear none at all and the sport bike riders tend to have on a helmet with t shirts and shorts. I don't get it either. My bf wants to get a bike and doesn't feel he needs gear either other than a helmet. He's convinced he'll never crash. I'm not at all convinced I'll never crash and I'm even more convinced some idiot in a car may hit me. In January, this moron plowing a parking lot I was in came all the way across the lot at a high rate of speed and smashed into the back of my truck as I was about to pull out onto the road. I think if I'd been in my car instead of my truck I might be dead now. If I'd been on a motorcycle, no question about it, wouldn't be here now. No point in taking the chance of not wearing gear IMO. Too many bad drivers out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Condolences go out, its horrible to hear a fellow rider gets into a crash, let a lone something like this. My thoughts will go out to the family of the rider. I agree with the post above mine, it takes a couple more minutes to suit up in full gear, and only seconds for things like this to happen. I am sure the van knew he hit something, he just didnt care, as most people I am learning dont care about motorcyclists. I was riding the other night and a car literally swerved into my lane as it was on the side of me.

Ride safe guys, stay alert.

- Mord

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
ow that the weather is better here, more and more people are riding and the only safety gear they have are thier brain buckets.........shorts, t-shirts, sneakers..........silly......the Harley riders typically have more gear on that the sport bikes, they may not be wearing a jacket, but most have at least boots and long pants or chapps, and gloves......

·
Registered
1 Posts
MSN | Outlook, Office, Skype, Bing, Breaking News, and Latest Videos
MSN | Outlook, Office, Skype, Bing, Breaking News, and Latest Videos

Saw this on the local news :(.

WBAL-TV
updated 7:30 a.m. ET, Mon., Sept. 22, 2008

GLEN BURNIE, Md. - Police in Glen Burnie are investigating an accident involving a motorcycle and a truck that sent two people to the hospital. Just before 8 p.m. Friday, investigators were called to the intersection of Furnace Branch Road and Welham Avenue.

Both 35-year-old victims had life-threatening injuries, according to investigators who are trying to determine what led to the accident.

More on the same event....

WBAL-TV
updated 7:45 a.m. ET, Tues., Sept. 23, 2008

GLEN BURNIE - Anne Arundel County police said that a fatal crash Friday involving a van and motorcycle was a hit-and-run.
Watch: 11 News Reporter Jennifer Franciotti

Ronnie Winston Workman, 48, died in the crash, police said. His passenger on the motorcyle, Jason Michael Workman, 28, is being treated at Shock Trauma.

The crash occurred at about 7:48 p.m. Friday in Glen Burnie.

Police said a van traveling north on Furnace Branch Road was going to make a left turn onto Wellham Court. A 2002 Kawasaki motorcyle began to overtake the vehicle on the right side, and the van abruptly turned right and hit the motorcycle, police said.

The van left the scene, according to police, who said Ronnie Workman and Jason Workman were wearing protective headgear.

Witnesses described the van as an early 1990s model, Chevrolet or GMC van, light blue or white in color. The van was described as having a white ladder rack on top and was last seen heading toward Ritchie Highway on Wellham Avenue.

Anyone with information is asked to call 410-222-8573 or 410-222-8610.

When my girlfriend saw the bike on tv she gasped... I hope no one from the forum was injured in this terrible event.

If you are religious please pray for the families. According to the news he was a father of 2 young girls.

Ride safe.. and always beware of the cage!!!!

-Ed

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hi, I know this is 10+ years later, but I just saw this post and want to give a update for anyone that cares or was speculating. Both my uncle and my brother died from this accident. According to witnesses, the driver knew they hit them, and the bike was dragged by the van. Despite a helmet my uncle died instantly from head trauma. My brother broke many many bones, and died from internal bleeding. Unfortunately further gear would not have saved them. If anyone has any info on what happened, please contact police as the van driver has not been located.
thank you,

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Wow. Just......I mean, I don’t know what to say after reading that.

Not the outcome I’d wanted to see at all.

My sincere condolences to your family.
:cry:

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
So sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and the rest of their family. The loss is heart breaking enough, but for the driver to take off and not be caught, all this time? My God. May that person be brought to justice.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I certainly hope that they have had such a guilty conscience for all these years and karma catches up with them ... I can't even imagine. And for Nikki to find this post a decade later, I'm sure this is still a burdensome and heartbreaking event to ever think about.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts