Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to refinish the bike frost white with a black pin stripe detail on the tank but I'm clearing with a glow in the dark additive but I'm not sure if its legal? anyone have a clue because I don't want to put the time and effort in to just have to sand it all back off just to ride it.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
I have no idea if it's legal or not, but I want to see it done.

I wonder what will the peoples reaction would be ;)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
none on public roads. external aux. lighting is reserved for off-road use only unless approved by the DOT. (look at your off the shelf fog lamps. none are DOT approved).

·
Registered
47 Posts
But how well are the DOT rules enforced? If they aren't enforced on ricer cars with neon tubes around the license plate and underbody, I would think it's even less likely to be enforced on a glow in the dark motorcycle. It's not as though glow in the dark things are very bright anyway. I would think it may help with visibility, but you definitely won't be blinding anyone with your glow.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
You'd be surprised at how IN-flexible the laws become when a motorcycle is involved. you could certainly plead your case that way, however i doubt they'd care. I'm not sure how well the rules are enforced in other communities, but 'round these parts (central Wisconsin that is) they are enforce pretty well. Undercarriage lights are outright prohibited from the streets and your vehicle will be impounded for the night if you're caught using neon. more than 4 forward aux. lights on a vehicle and you're fined and excess lights are blinded. neon license plate trim is the same way. "only in the parking lot son, here's your fine..."

it might not blind anyone, but it does create a distraction for other drivers, which in my view poses a public safety issue. of course, that could be said with anything really. like i said, REALLY grey...

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm really surprised, I had no idea there was such a law. I've put aftermarket driving lights on just about every car I've every owned for 25years and never had a peep mentioned about it. All pass yearly safety inspection fine. Why would they be picky on motorcycles when you are just trying to be safer and increase your already poor visibility? Doesn't sound fair to me. ???

Thanks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it's legal it would be one cool paint job . It wouldn't be as bright as reflective strips , and they are legal . Also if it did distract another drive at-least if they run over something it wouldn't be you ::) !

S

·
0 Posts
I say do it! I can't imagine them busting you for that. Just make sure to follow the law around traffic at night.

On a seperate note about bikes and the law: A guy I know (rides a cbr600rr) was recently pulled over by a motorcycle cop for having a "headlight out", even though the "headlight" was his high beam...that wasn't turned on.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Around here being a capitol city and a college town theres cops every where and they all seem to be douche bags, at least from my experiences this is an area where 4 different stations have jurisdiction so you can catch sh#t about anywhere.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
The local phone & cable companies have huge swaths of their company vans covered in highly reflective tape or paint or something. So at least here in Nebraska (& Iowa) the corporate boys can have it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to do it to my helmet first and see what happens

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
It does add a touch of TRON to the bike.

I love it

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Smoky said:
I'm looking to refinish the bike frost white with a black pin stripe detail on the tank but I'm clearing with a glow in the dark additive but I'm not sure if its legal? anyone have a clue because I don't want to put the time and effort in to just have to sand it all back off just to ride it.
the paint is legal just some aux. lighting isnt , since it isnt a light your good to go.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
As mentioned above, it is not a light. I have seen a number of bikes in the my area that have done it.

I thought I remember reading the specs on the paint, and it isn't guaranteed to glow for very long (the glow fades after time). I read that on the website of the paint manufacturer, but it was a couple of years ago.
Something to check out, since I believe the paint is expensive, too.
There might be more than one brand and one brand might be superior.

Roddy would know, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Re: Glow in the dark!! Thread dead?

I didn't realize this thread was so old when I posted.
Smoky, did you try it out?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts