Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So by the section this is in and the title you can probably guess what happened to me this weekend.

One of my buddies had warned me a few weeks earlier that my chain was loose and I didn't really think too much of it. It looked OK to me.

So I headed out for a spin on Saturday AM and about a block from home I rolled a right hand corner and punched the throttle. A strange noise and no acceleration got my attention right away. I jumped off and pushed the bike into a parking lot to see that the chain had come off and was between the sprocket and wheel.

Luckily I keep a few zip ties in my bag so it was a simple operation to put it back on. I was headed over to meet up with a couple guys and It was pretty much on teh way to the mechanics so I headed out thinking I should take it easy untill I get someone to look at it.

I was getting close and looped thru a parking lot at the mall where there's no stop sign for incoming traffic. I leaned it over on a right hand corner rolling only at about 10 MPH and punched it as i hadn't had anything else happen during my ride over there and all of a sudden I've low sided. My knee hit the ground (on the right) and the bike slid out from under me. My hands hit the ground and I popped up just in time to watch my bike spin around on it's right side and slide into the oncoming traffic. The guy that was in the other lane saw me go down and jumped on his brakes but the bike had a little too much momentum and bumped into the bottom of his bumper knocking a couple plastic clips out and leaving a bit of plastic scuff on his bumper. No real damage to his truck but we exchanged info and I'm sure he'll want it back to as good as new.

I picked up my bike and pushed it out of the traffic lane and surveyed the damage. the right side is scuffed pretty good, but nothing seems to be too badly broken (any more than it originally was) but the back section (it's a 90 so it's got a seperate back plastic) is all cracked up. the water pump (I think that's what it is) is scuffed but doesn't seem to leaking at all.

As for me. I was wearing all my usuall gear. The lid and jacket never touched the ground but I took about half the thickness off of one of my gloves and wore a 1/8 inch hole thru the cordura on the outside of my field pants but never went thru the jean material underneath. I've got a smallish bruise where my first knee hit the ground but that's it.

I put the chain back on again and it took a bit longer to start up the bike as I'm sure the carbs drained when it was laying on it's side. i rode home as slowly and gingerly as possible without incident.

My determination of what happened is that the chain came off right as I went to accelerate in the turn and as I was leaned over without power (in fact probably dragging the rear) I basically just tipped the thing over.

In summation GO CHECK YOUR CHAIN! DO IT NOW.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Interesting.

Glad you had the cordura pants or you'd have had some human hide removed.
Thanks for the write up.

I need to get some decent (not hot) biker pants & a good, cooler, protective jacket.
I got toasty today in my black cool-weather jacket, even w/ liner out & vent zippers open.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
good thing you wear protection :)

Yup, on the right side, there's that waterpump cap that takes the blow when the bike is not on it's wheels..

Glad to see you came out of this relatively uninjured.

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
FYI, That chain is now junk, Once you roll them off they are broken beyond repair. Change it or it'll kill you the next time it happens at 60 mph.

FOG

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FOG said:
FYI, That chain is now junk, Once you roll them off they are broken beyond repair. Change it or it'll kill you the next time it happens at 60 mph.

FOG
I figured so... which also means new sprockets, right? I'll probably stick with Stock gearing.
Will that water pump be ok as long as it's not leaking? It can't have much thickness left in the wall of that curved tube.

-Adam

·
Registered
19,362 Posts
Yep, no leaks is good news. Open the rad cap with the engine running and witness the rush of water when you blip the throttle. Impellars have been known to shear from such a hit.

FOG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts