Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In approximately a month me and my girlfriend (that's my Ninja by the way) are going to make the trip from my home in Calgary to San Diego California, via the Oregon coast. I have planned out the essentials, but for the most part I am going to let the trip unfold as it does. If I am tired, I'll stop. If I want to push on, I will. Once I am in San Diego I will be leaving my bike in the long term parking, which I researched to make sure it is safe enough for my baby, and then I will be flying to Mexico City. I have a friend who lives in Mexico City who own's 2 bikes, one of which is a 2006 ex500, so I will get to do some rides arouind there with him. After a week or so I will fly back to San Diego and decide if I want to ride hom the same way, or take a new route back up. I'll be sure to get some pics up as soon as I'm back!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds like fun. I just got back from my trip to Colorado. You have the right idea though, let the trip unfold as it does. It's much more fun to see where the road takes you than to be tied to a schedule.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Highway 1 where it splits off of 101 all the way to Fort Brag is amazing! Amazing road, great views, has everything from tight twisties to some more open stuff. I also highly recommend the Howard Creek Ranch B&B if you are going to be staying the night in the Fort Bragg Area. It is north of Fort Bragg about 15 miles or so. Once you get down to about Jenner the road gets pretty heavy with tourist traffic in the Bodega Bay area and stays pretty heavy all the way to the city.

Have fun, ride safe, and take lots of pictures for us, don't forget to get pictures of your GF to, all the guys here want to see just how hot she is on the open road.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Plans are deliberately indefinite, more to travel than to arrive anywhere. We are just vacationing. Secondary roads are preferred. Paved county roads are the best, state highways are next. Freeways are the worst. We want to make good time, but for us now this is measured with emphasis on "good" rather than "time" and when you make that shift in emphasis the whole approach changes. -Pirsig
Sounds like fun. I have plans to do a cross country motorcycle trip in the near future. No better way to travel! :)

I think I'd come back up a different route just to see the most - maybe by the Grand Canyon (if you've never been) and Salt Lake City / the salt flats?

Like this

·
Registered
216 Posts
The coastal route is amazing - on the return I would strongly recommend hitting the eastern Sierra - Mammoth/June to Yosemite/Tioga Pass and then meander up to Lake Tahoe. Caution: Tioga pass is 10,000 feet so you won't be doing any wheelies.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I also highly recommend the Howard Creek Ranch B&B if you are going to be staying the night in the Fort Bragg Area.
Hey Jrocket do you know if you have to have a reservation to stay there?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Yes call ahead. www.howardcreekranch.com You will want to say for breakfast because their breakfast ROCK. I've stayed in Lucy's room and in the board house. It is a get away from it all type B&B. There are no phones or TV's in the rooms, it is a very quiet secluded spot perfect for relaxing. I got there when I do not want the rest of the world to reach me.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those who have done the California portion of the trip before, are there a lot of mosquitos/bug? I am considering using a very minimal sleeping setup (small tarp, pegs, sleeping mat) but I don't want to be slowly eaten alive every night.

·
Registered
216 Posts
flipped_dimension said:
For those who have done the California portion of the trip before, are there a lot of mosquitos/bug? I am considering using a very minimal sleeping setup (small tarp, pegs, sleeping mat) but I don't want to be slowly eaten alive every night.
It was a dry winter so most of the bugs should be dead in a month, especially by the coast.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For those of you who have ridden the west coast highway 101, about how long did the california portion take you?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
In a car from the Oregon Boarder to SF could take a good day on hwy 1, and about 1/2 that on 101. 101 turns into a freeway in all it's boringness below the town of willits. If you are a time schedule take 101 or 5, if you want to take it easy and see the sights take 1.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NO time restrictions here really. I do not want to take I-5 if I can help it, so I plan on taking the #1

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I just rolled into my driveway a few hours ago after being away for a month. I cannot possibly type out every detail of the trip but let me just point a out a few highlights.

Highway 101. Great sweeping curves linked one after another for hours for fast, incredible riding. Do it.

The Redwood Forrest in California was pretty incredible to me. The road is twisty and narrow all through the towering trees. Take your time, ya don't want to pick a fight with one of those monsters.

Highway 1 (Jrocket thanks for the tip) If you love to ride and have a chance, go ride this stretch! You will not be the same rider as you were prior to it. The only thing I found is that after the twisties through the forrest the road cuts back out to the coast and it was very grey and cold and I had a tough time enjoying it so i would suggest cuttin back over to the 101 after Fort Bragg.

I lane split for the first time in Los Angeles. There's a near death experience for you. But let me tell you this. After riding in Mexico City, the traffic in LA feels like a wide open freeway.

Mexico was nuts. My friend told me they don't shoulder check because if you turn your head you are likely to crash into someone in front of you. He wasn't kidding! I had some close calls with buses, taxis, cars, dogs you name it. I don't know how people do it everyday.

For the trip home I took I-15 through the desert to Las Vegas and then followed it up to Salt Lake City and then through Idaho and Montana, back to Alberta.

MY advice to anybody crossing the desert on a bike is to keep you air vents on your gear closed. It might seem like you should have them open but the air is so hot you are better off time be all covered up.

I got pulled over in Utah doing 96 in a 75 zone. I knew was speeding but I didn't know I was going that fast. It's tough to judge speed when you are all alone on a long straight road with nothing but rocks earth on either side. The guy was pretty nice to me though. He wrote me up at 95 so it didn't push me into the next fine bracket.

To sum things up, the trip was the single most fulfilling thing I have ever done in my life. I strongly urge you all, if there is a trip you have been dreaming of taking, DO IT!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thats awesome man, glad to hear you came out okay. I've always wanted to ride the Redwood Forest. Too bad I'm over in the North East (Maine). Would be a hell of a ride just to get over there lol. Maybe some day when I'm old and retired I'll be able to do as such.

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are a few cool pictures from my trip.

[attachment deleted by admin]

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
and some more. any chance that ex belongs to anyone here?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bit out of order but here are some more pics

1 - 20 of 29 Posts