Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm naming this next set "Gomers" , surprise, surprise (anybody remember Gomer Pyle?) ....never know what you find inside these things. Yet another set of 250 ninja carbs...the decel valve diaphragm corroded, locked solid. Left as is, this would cause intense backfiring upon closing throttle. I'm taking corrective action, already freed, removed and in "the drink".

I read advise on another forum suggesting to "leave decel valves alone" ...this example is precisely why I do NOT leave them alone, but choose to inspect them on every 250 set I do (Ducati/Mikunis also use them) I perform a little tweak on them, too, while in there. I've found springs, orings missing, seized, holed diaphragms. All good reason to inspect....finding stripped screws even more so, a red flag...an indication fingers were inside there long before me. Finally, I upgrade hardware to stainless buttonhead, matching what I use on the rest of the carb.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
I'm naming this next set "Gomers" , surprise, surprise (anybody remember Gomer Pyle?)
Hahah.........yeah. Staple in my house as a youngster...albeit in reruns. My pops was a huge fan. "Gaaaawwwwllllleeee Sarge!" :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
14,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A very popular "spin-off" show in its day, mid-late 60's. Nabors really nailed his character, initially support on Andy Griffith show.

Back to Gomers....an after pic....valve fully operational, refurb will be completed today.

The man himself....I can relate to that look, some commonality there. ;D

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts