Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
You were better off. GPz went like the proverbial striped ape in a strait line and handled like it had a hinge in middle.
It was only sold in the U.S. I put carbs on it when the fuel injection packed up. Canada and Europe got the KZ1100R. Much better. I gave it to my nephew in 2006. He still has it. So I was going through motorcycle withdrawal crises and had to have this one. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
welcome aboard, nice score! I almost bought a Gpz1100 but felt there were not enough of them sold here in the US to have access to cheap second hand parts. Love the EX btw.
You were better off. GPz went like the proverbial striped ape in a strait line and handled like it had a hinge in middle.
It was only sold in the U.S. I put carbs on it when the fuel injection packed up. Canada and Europe got the KZ1100R. Much better. I gave it to my nephew in 2006. He still has it. So I was going through motorcycle withdrawal crises and had to have this one. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I liked them a lot. Unfortunately both got ripped off. That's how I got the GPz.
So ... 15 I got a 1947 Cushman scooter for 40 bucks.. I traded it in on a 61 Mustang scooter. I sold that to buy 1962 250 YDS2 Yamaha and hated two strokes ever since. 1963 I sold that to buy used 1963 Velocette 500 Clubman. Stupid me I sold it when I got drafted and enlisted. 1967 on leave I bought 1967 500 Thruxton Velocette. 1969&70 I raced the Thruxton. 1975 I sold the Thruxton. 1976 I bought the KZ900. And the worst motorcycle mistake of my life I bought 1985 R80 BMW for a daily rider. It was awful! I gave it to my nephew. It tried to kill him too. All and all it's been a lot of fun.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I liked them a lot. Unfortunately both got ripped off. That's how I got the GPz.
So ... 15 I got a 1947 Cushman scooter for 40 bucks.. I traded it in on a 61 Mustang scooter. I sold that to buy 1962 250 YDS2 Yamaha and hated two strokes ever since. 1963 I sold that to buy used 1963 Velocette 500 Clubman. Stupid me I sold it when I got drafted and enlisted. 1967 on leave I bought 1967 500 Thruxton Velocette. 1969&70 I raced the Thruxton. 1975 I sold the Thruxton. 1976 I bought the KZ900. And the worst motorcycle mistake of my life I bought 1985 R80 BMW for a daily rider. It was awful! I gave it to my nephew. It tried to kill him too. All and all it's been a lot of fun. View attachment 55200

omg you're like fog 2!! hahah. sounds like you've had some amazing bikes, hot damn. that's a shame to hear about the R80... i've seen them in so many cafe builds these last few years.

oh man that 1947 cushman scooter looks awesome

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ordered Haynes repair Manuel, oil filter, 4 L. Motul 7100 4T 5W40. Who knows what oil is in it.
Michelin Road 5 tires on back order. Looks like 17 inch Michelin tires hard to find.
Wow! It sure hates gravel roads. What a wrestling match. 1/4 mile both ways from home to paved road.
Title is all SNAFU. No worries. Should finish project by next Spring. No hurry.
Still have muffler patch and plastic mess to fix. - Ray

·
Registered
659 Posts
Ordered Haynes repair Manuel, oil filter, 4 L. Motul 7100 4T 5W40. Who knows what oil is in it.
Michelin Road 5 tires on back order. Looks like 17 inch Michelin tires hard to find.
Wow! It sure hates gravel roads. What a wrestling match. 1/4 mile both ways from home to paved road.
Title is all SNAFU. No worries. Should finish project by next Spring. No hurry.
Still have muffler patch and plastic mess to fix. - Ray
MOTUL 7100 !!

Man, no expense spared....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

A puzzlement! How did it get this way? I think I have the answer. Keep in mind I bought this from a college kid at MU. He just drives them. He doesn't know how to fix them. HE bought it this way! I am the second owner of duck tape. He told me the owner did this changing oil. (???) SO ... changing oil on un-level ground and the bike rolls forward, the side stand folds up and the bike falls over. KARRUNCH! All the scratches on both side are vertical. It has fallen over on both sides. The muffler really shows it. In fact all the pop rivets are busted out of the intake end and there is a hole there. No graphics on the upper fairing. May have been replaced before?
I know you guys already thought of this. You are a very knowledgeable bunch. I always keep the center stand and pivot bolts and put it back on to work on the bike. Then it is stable. When finished take out two bolts and center stand back on the shelf. I found a center stand on EBay. Ex Army airplane mechanic can fix anything with duck tape and safety wire. I didn't do it this time. 😁

·
Registered
659 Posts
It could have fallen over during an oil change. But, some of that plastic damage is from an actual crash, Ditto, the slip-on can, that has slid down the road at a good rate of speed to grind through the outer sleeve like that.

All is probably OK so long as the frame and forks aren't bent.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts