Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
It could be, but I don't see any horizontal scratches. It could be both. Obviously dropped more than once. SWAG!
BTW, I have two rolls of G.I. duck tape just in case.
it could have vertical scratches if it fell against a lower than handlebar height wall (don't ask how I know) popping it into first gear while it sits on the side stand stops it rolling forwards but unless the PO has a paddock stand changing the oil would be difficult as there is no oil in the sight glass while it is on the side stand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
it could have vertical scratches if it fell against a lower than handlebar height wall (don't ask how I know) popping it into first gear while it sits on the side stand stops it rolling forwards but unless the PO has a paddock stand changing the oil would be difficult as there is no oil in the sight glass while it is on the side stand.
Thanks, I see fairing cracks, but no pavement rash. I think that is strange. No matter it all has to be fixed. I have center stand coming from EBay. I just put it on for maintenance then take it off. This is my fourth Kawasaki. Last one was 82 GPz 1100. This 500 is about 200 lbs lighter. Very close to the 500 Velocetts I had in the dinosaur days and about 20 mph faster. Remember this bike is 15 years old. History unknown. Unfortunately bikes are not Bozo proof. - rj :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
MOTUL 7100 !!

Man, no expense spared....
Font Art Pattern Number Circle

from owners manuel: It's that JASO-MA. Most of the other synthetics may comply but they don't say so.

"Modern motorcycles usually have the same oil lubricating the engine and the wet clutch. For this purpose most of the time the regular friction modified engine oils are not good enough. To make sure that the right oil is used motorcycle manufacturers usually require the oil to meet one of the JASO standards explained below.

The motor oils that meet the JASO T 903:2006 standard can be classified into four grades: JASO MA, JASO MA1, JASO MA2 and JASO MB. The classification is based on the results of the JASO T 904:2006 clutch system firction test.

In order for a motor oil to meet any of the above mentioned JASO standards it must be at least of one of the following quality levels:

• API SG, SH, SJ, SL, SM
  • ILSAC GF-1, GF-2, GF-3
  • ACEA A1/B1, A3/B3, A3/B4, A5/B5, C2, C3

Furthermore, the motor oil's Dynamic Friction Characteristic Index (DFI), Static Friction Characteristic Index (SFI) and Stop Time Index (STI) should be within the following limits according to the JASO 904:2006 friction test:"
from: JASO MA and JASO MB classifications - oilspecifications.org

So if the oil is too slippery the clutch will slip and if not slippery enough hard to shift, it says elsewhere. Back in the dinosaur days I used Castrol R. in the Velo. Way too complicated, yes? I just got the one with the motorcycle on the label. Anyway I don't plan to put a lot of miles on due to weather here. Should be a long time between oil changes. - rj :)

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
oh dear here we go!!. (sorry Duc) please check all the facts. 1. JASO was introduced by the Japanese authorities in the 90's due to complaints of slipping MC wet clutches in the high powered bikes they were producing at the time. this standard was made worldwide in 1998. the problem was the friction modifiers added to modern synthetic oils.
2. the EX IS a dinosaur of the 80's designed to run on the oils available at the time any oil that conforms to this basic standard is suitable in the EX. so any pre modified oil without friction additives is fine.
that means (ironically) the cheaper types of oil. like mineral. diesel oil. forklift oil. marine oil. even lawn mower oil, as long as it has no modifiers and meets the basic specification is fine.
3. due to the high lift/high shear cams ECT. that cuts the oil molecules very rapidly clean oil is more important than the type of oil used.
if you want to use the most expensive type (it's your bike) go ahead. mine is changed every year or as soon as it changes colour. so the oil has to be as cheap as possible.
4. the biggest issue with the EX clutch is sticking not slipping due to it being a lot bigger (off a 900cc) than t needs to be for the size of the engine/power output.

·
Registered
19,841 Posts
too expensive As Yorki said cheap oil is fine MC specific oil is euphemism for stupid people oil

FOG

Reactions: yorkie

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
11/19/2021 Low this morning 24 f / -4.4 c. in MidMo and no heat in my shop. All progress comes to a frozen halt till the place thaws out. Meanwhile the pile of new parts is getting higher. I ordered a 140 70 17 Mechelin Road 5 because no 120s available. They sent me a 150. I may be stuck with it if nothing else is available. 17 inch Road 5 Mechelins hard to find. Snafu as usual. BLAST! If you expect things to be fouled up you wont be disappointed. Once in a while something works right and it's like a religious experience. Just glorious! 😁

21 - 30 of 30 Posts