Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to know how much do you think it should cost for the first service on my 07 ninja 500? getting real close to the mileage and just wanted to know how much you think it should cost

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
o forgot to put this in there was wanting to know also what is good to wash your bike with and get the pips back looking like they are new

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
First service i think is just a bolt check, cable adjustment and an oil change... all things you can do yourself if you are mechanically inclined. i don't think the valves need touching for quite a while. should cost you about $300 at your local con-artiest... i mean shop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just to let you guys know i just called the bike place where i got the bike from and they said 140.00 does that sound right or is that with out labor charge?

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
i donno... maybe. Did you ask them? If i were to ask a shop how much the first service would be, i'd expect the answer to be sans tax and that's all.

R

·
0 Posts
25$ for a manual,
8$ for a feeler gage,
The feeling you get after doing it yourself,
PRICELESS!

·
Registered
40 Posts
140 sounds about right, I got my done a year ago or so at the Kawi dealer for 200 (Canadian) including taxes and such....

I wouldn't mind doing the stuff myself, but I feel good maintenance paperwork will help with a quick sale of the bike ;)

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
you shouldn't have to change the filter yet. the OEM filter is servicable. read your manuel on how to clean it.

as for oil, now there's a can of worms for you. if you plan to change your oil out at short intervals, then just stick to what your dealer has on the shelf. 10w40 is what your looking for. It's really not going to matter to be honest, as long as it's JASO-MA certified, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so all i would need to do is change the oil and just clean the filter? would you guys say it is a good idea to do this or should i take it to them for atleast the first time? really don't want to put out that kind of money if all they going to do is change the oil

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Bandit08 said:
so all i would need to do is change the oil and just clean the filter? would you guys say it is a good idea to do this or should i take it to them for atleast the first time? really don't want to put out that kind of money if all they going to do is change the oil
Is it on an extended warranty? If so, read it to see how you must record any maintenance.
If needed- Keep your receipts in a labled envelope.

Shell Rotella T oil seems to have a good following here, & at WalMart it's inexpensive.
Your choice of regular or synthetic ($$).

WalMart has the best deal in quality oil filters... under $3: SuperTech SC 7317
Local dealer sold rookie-me a Kawasaki filter for $12.
Clean & oil the air filter yourself (under the rear gas tank support, in my '05).
Wipe the dirt off the chain then wipe it down w/ a diesel oiled rag. Adjust tension.

Adjust the idle to specs (black knob facing down under the left carb).
Check the brake fluid & coolant reservoirs.
Make sure any bolts & nuts are still tight & no bulbs are burnt out.

Anything else, you guys?

You don't need to pay guys to do that stuff... pay yourself by keeping $$ in your pocket.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah i think i am going to do all this stuff myself cause i just looked at my owners manual and it pretty much tells you everything that needs to be done right now and how to do it. so i think i have me something to do tomorrow on my day off. o and do you guys think putting it on the center stand would make it any easier to do this stuff

·
Registered
152 Posts
It sounds like you've decided to go about this on your own and I think that's best. Changing your oil and changing/cleaning the filter is something anybody with a bike should know how to do. It is easy and just good common knowledge to have.

One thing I will warn you about is removing the oil filter...make sure you either have a)super-human strength b)a small enough filter wrench or c)a long flat head screwdriver and a hammer.

When I did my first maintenance on my EX it still had the factory filter on it, and I mean ON it. I couldn't loosen that thing for the life of me and all (2) of my filter wrenches were too big. I ended up puncturing the side walls with a screwdriver and loosening it that way. Of course, now I have a filter on the bike that has a bolt on it to ease the frustration.

Happy oil change.

·
Registered
86 Posts
stogiedmb said:
One thing I will warn you about is removing the oil filter...make sure you either have a)super-human strength b)a small enough filter wrench or c)a long flat head screwdriver and a hammer.
I'm not the seller and am only using this as an example, NOT an endorsement, but something like ebay item: 160100526406 is well worth the cost, in my opinion. Local stores should have them, and they're easily available online. No more charring myself on the exhaust, no more swearing at stuck filters. It's convenient to use on the ex500 if the exhaust is still warm. It's crucial on my yzf600r, there's not room to get a good grip on the filter on that bike when the exhaust is cold, when it's hot you're just asking for pain.

·
Premium Member
25,165 Posts
What ever happened to using a good 'ol filter wrench? what's with all this screwdriver and a hammer business?

I've heard some horror stories about ising screwdrives as a punch for filters. these other fellows were changing oil on their Hondas and over-penetrated the filter, and put a hole though the oil cooler. call me crazy, but that didn't sound like a good idea from the word go...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts