Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, i have recently purchased a 2000 EX500S and the previous owner had it set to GP shift (1 up blah blah), is there an easy way to set it back to normal without the need for a strip down? TIA

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Yes just get a stock Lever . all the internals a the same.
I buy the Other lever

FOG

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
There is only 2 ways to reverse the shift pattern, use a lever with the push rod connection on the opposite side .or a belcrank with the same reversal.
its the EX the only practical way is to use a foot lever from a ZX6
I see you lever is stock, so all you need do is reverse the crank on the other end
ANd I don't want to by your stock lever

FOG

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Looking at you picture ,it seems you do no have a GP shift at all. You Sure?

Fog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have ridden it but am struggling with the gears the opposite way around. It’s definitely 1 up

·
Registered
363 Posts
That's very odd, because you need to flip either the shift-lever pivot or the linkage itself in order to get GP-shift. Yours is both stock. Here's a GP-shift configuration with flipped lever.

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
I have ridden it but am struggling with the gears the opposite way around. It’s definitely 1 up
But is it 5 down? Can’t see how you can have a GP pattern

Fog

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve contacted Kawasaki about this and it seems the bike came like this as standard with the gears set this way! If I wanted to change it over then I need to purchase The opposite lever. Geez

·
Registered
19,320 Posts
Fact is it’s a better way. All bikes were that way until some govt idiot thought he knew better. You should consider yourself lucky.I had to convert mine myself.

Fog

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
^It say's 1 down, 5 up. You don't count the neutral.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Motorcycle shift patterns were standardized in 1972.
Street bikes MUST have the shifter on the left side, first gear one down, neutral is one up from first, any subsequent gears up from neutral.

Ex's were never sold with GP shift.

·
Super Moderator
14,777 Posts
Exeter...New York? California? Alaska? Canada? UK? Communicate! Please fill out helpful basic location forum info, eh?

·
Super Moderator
6,023 Posts
Just post the video on youtube. Then post a link to youtube . You won't be able to PM anyone until you have 15 posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts