Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

GP shift

9K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Apriliarider 
#1 ·
hi everybody, i have recently purchased a 2000 EX500S and the previous owner had it set to GP shift (1 up blah blah), is there an easy way to set it back to normal without the need for a strip down? TIA

#4 ·
There is only 2 ways to reverse the shift pattern, use a lever with the push rod connection on the opposite side .or a belcrank with the same reversal.
its the EX the only practical way is to use a foot lever from a ZX6
I see you lever is stock, so all you need do is reverse the crank on the other end
ANd I don't want to by your stock lever

FOG

#11 ·
Fact is it’s a better way. All bikes were that way until some govt idiot thought he knew better. You should consider yourself lucky.I had to convert mine myself.

Fog

#25 ·
hi. no idea why yours is different it not a UK option may be a Euro import. my gen 1 is set up the same as yours but the gears are reversed. must have be some modification done to it.
it is however easily rectified by changing the lever to one with a inside bottom mounting ball. like this one.
instead of the stock top inside mounted ball this will reverse the the change pattern. (did this on the cruiser with extended foot pegs) with a similar lever. the one shown is just for reference they come much cheaper than this and with free post.
keep the gearbox knob stock and up right and angle the rod down to the lever. if it fouls the frame selecting 1st bend the rod slightly in a upward curve. will solve you problem and is a permanent fix.

#26 ·
Good one, Yorkie. Now anyone with a stock EX500 can convert to GP shifting.

Meanwhile, how/why is pacman's bike different?
When someone told him: "...it can be swapped around by flipping a fork around inside the gearbox and apparently it’s an easy job, just lay the bike on its side to save draining down, open the gearbox, locate the fork and turn it over........hmmmm" I thought, "no way"!

But take a look at the:
CAM-CHANGE DRUM
13145-1056

If you lay the bike on it's left side [or is the shifter mechanism on the left side?] and go into the shifter mechanism, remove the phillips screw holding the Cam-Change Drum, turn the Drum over, re-install in reverse order, voila! Might need to discard the locating pin, and use a good strong Allen bolt to secure the drum, but I think it might work. Anyone have one apart that can try and report? ...seems easier to either replace the Gear Change Assembly, or modify the current front end of the gear change assembly to suit, but maybe someone was in there anyway.

#27 ·
seems easier to either replace the Gear Change Assembly, or modify the current front end of the gear change assembly to suit, but maybe someone was in there anyway.
That or it was reassembled incorrectly and that’s just the accidental result.

Hmmmmm.....after a nanosecond of reconsideration that is the more likely scenario

Reactions: yorkie
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.