Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
11,021 Posts
lunty74 said:
hahaha I know here is my (back seat ***** ) better known as my little cousin when he heard Liverpool had scored
Haha! Awesome! He is a smart kid and a fine "Kopite"

· Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
There is another ride/meet taking place on the 4th May...bank holiday Monday. Most probably up to the Lake District...at the moment.

Usual crew will be out, and anyone else who want's to come along will be made welcome. Time's/meet point's will be posted once they are decided, :D :D

· Banned
4,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Meet point's are in front of the Boddington Arm's Samlesbury at 8.30, or Devil's Bridge at 10am

The ride will be around the Lake District. Forecast look's good, should be a nice day out.

· Registered
11,021 Posts
jonh said:
Meet point's are in front of the Boddington Arm's Samlesbury at 8.30, or Devil's Bridge at 10am

The ride will be around the Lake District. Forecast look's good, should be a nice day out.
Boddington's you say...... :p :D

· Registered
2,820 Posts
how long is a piece of string ?. well maintained kept in order 100k abused and neglected 5k. average bike somewhere in the middle 40k. but to be honest it depends on the bike here in the UK the last model imported was 2002 so there all at least 20years old, with average yearly mileage of 3k that would be 60k ish, if its older than the latest model (E10) and only has 20k on it it's either only done a few hundred miles a year or done 20k in one year and been stood for the other 19 years. or any combination in between.
also to be honest buying these bikes is a lottery because they are so old. and it also depends on what you want to use it for or prepared to spend on it.

· Registered
2,820 Posts
I'm looking at one with has 33000 and it's from 1999 problem is obviously I don't know how it was previously ridden. I'm based in the UK too and I'm looking for a cafe racer project
ok so 23 years old with 33k on it sounds about average, look at the general overall condition should give some clues as to how it's been treated. make sure the engine RUNS no smoke or obvious knocks or rattles from it when running (note the engines on these bikes can and are noisy as it is) it's gen 2 "D" model so less issues than the older gen 1's.

BUT if the seller says it's been stood a while ran great before but just needs a battery or some small part, offer to pay extra for the battery or parts it needs so you can hear it running if they refuse Walk away, it's a red flag.
apart from that if runs ok and seems fine I wouldn't bother as your going to be highly modifying it, you will have to do a complete strip down of the bike so maintenance issues will be covered as you work on it check the compressions do a valve clearance check and and other stuff while the engine is out, brakes suspension and all other service parts will have to be done as work on the bike progresses, good luck keep in touch if you decide to go ahead with it.
BTW, as for your original question I have two of these bikes, a 1990 gen 1 with 93,400 miles on it and a 96 gen 2 (naked type bike) with 36,000 miles on it both run perfect and ready to go in the spring, however both bikes have been well sorted with all the maintenance procedures done on time and regular (yearly oil and filter) changes.

Edit, almost forgot, if you do get the bike and convert it to a cafe racer find a way to keep the stock air box in the build don't think you can just dump it and fit pods expecting it to run anything like decent these bikes need the air box intact to run properly.

· Registered
6 Posts
Ah thank you. I'll ask him to get it running, problem is he's started the project but hasn't finished it I can't tell about scuff marks and stuff but as far as the engine goes 33000 isn't bad?

· Registered
2,820 Posts
Ah thank you. I'll ask him to get it running, problem is he's started the project but hasn't finished it I can't tell about scuff marks and stuff but as far as the engine goes 33000 isn't bad?
Ah so that is info I didn't have this morning, ok so it's part converted and your buying a unfinished project while not being a red flag it's certainly an orange one, your going to have to find far more info on the bike in this case.
what he's done to it already, what parts have been changed, what is required to finish it that sort of thing. at this point you have to be careful what you buy. unfinished projects are notoriously problematic (don't ask how i know) if it's unfinished there is a reason, it could be genuine of course but usually the cost of completion is greater than the valve of the bike or he has hit a snag he can't overcome either by lack of tools or knowledge, and wants to dump it for someone else to finish.
buyer beware is good advice.
mileage is fair for year just depends on how it has been treated, if the maintenance was done correctly should be no problem however if it hasn't had the valves done or oil change in a few years expect some issues with it.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts