Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out here in the city it's pretty much chemical warfare and I'm usually maneuvering and manipulating traffic through creative and sometimes illegal ways, because that's how it works.

BUT

On the freeways, on the open roads, in cities that aren't so dense I find myself riding pretty fast and I know a lot of us like to. I read this off a post on Bay Area Riders (which was good suprisingly) so I thought I'd share :

..... if you're gonna ride that fast always run this little excercise through your head. Pretend every single car you are about to pass is about to swerve and hit you. Always be prepared to swerve and look for an "out" and if there isn't one slow down then speed up again. That's the beauty about sportbikes. You don't even need the brakes. Roll off throttle for 3 seconds you're down to the speed limit , roll on for 2 seconds and you're back up to 100.
Thanks to Var for that.

Thought it was good advice that'd I'd pass along.

Ride safe guys! Remember they're driving, we're playing chess on the street.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This is a great piece of advice. It's something I've never heard given before now though. I have always done it since starting to ride and pretty much before that even in cages. When I'm driving my truck people almost hit me. I expect it even more on the bike and try to avoid vehicles as much as possible. Unfortunitly that usually means doing 85-90.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wait until you get caught and they slap you with an enormous fine and a more than likely suspension of license. You'll learn to soothe the inner beast that never seems to stop screaming, "FASTER!!!"

·
Registered
146 Posts
I may be speeding but I'm keeping pace with traffic. For some reason in Alaska people like to blow past you when your doing 75. Even when the limit is 65....go figure.

·
Registered
404 Posts
ridng around NYC i would have to agree with VAR, if it's not a car then it's a pothole the size of my bike...
when you get out of a congested area you feel free and go ape sh!t...at least I do. what you forget
is it's probably less safe in the burbs then in the city...soccermoms in their SUV's on cell phones, rich kids
who just got their license trying to break the sound barrier...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts