Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1990 ex500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time motorcycle enthusiast, a mechanic for Honda, Kawasaki in the mid 70s and 80s.
About 10 years ago I bought a 1990 ex500 wreck for a winter project, it was cheap. Rode this bike for years, but I honestly did not like it much, too small, the Kerker too loud. Much faster than my FT500, but the Ascot is more my style. When the EX started to crap out on one cylinder on occasion I just parked it in the shed. Well after sitting 3 years, it's once again a winter project. Thought that I would join this website as there is some knowledgeable people here - great info!

·
Super Moderator
6,332 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

You don't like the EX500?!?! What's not to like about it...besides it not being a Honda?!?! 😂

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
Another welcome! Return to stock exhaust, Fog Mod the airbox, assure carb setup, adjust them valves....you should have a fun little screamer there.

Reactions: FlipFlop

·
Registered
1990 ex500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well thanks for the warm welcome. Devilsfan, your right, the EX500 has a lot going for it. Hard not to ride like your on a racetrack all the time, though. Probably why the tires wore out so quick. Not a fan of the 16" rims, and skinny rear tire. My EX has a salvage title and lots of miles. Previous owner really trashed it, actually had a side car on it. I rebuilt it using a lot of 1992(?) parts. Engine was fine, I just updated the cam chain tensioner, airbox mod, AIR delete, valve adjust. So for a couple of years it was in fact a fun little screamer. Until the the cdi box quit while on the freeway at 11:00 at night. I think the ebay replacement lasted 2 weeks before it started acting up at the worst times. It would drop a cylinder, but a few moments later back to normal. so, no longer fun. Buy a new cdi box, came from Israel. Well that one fries too. Right cylinder. Said right on the unit to run resistor plugs and caps, or the unit will fry. I was too lazy to pull the tank. Perhaps why I stated that the EX is not my cup of tea.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are right, there is a lot of knowledge floating around the site if you only look then ask. Just wanted to say that's a beautiful bike. I absolutely love that color scheme.

·
Registered
2008 EX500, ZRX's, Vstrom, GPz's
17 Posts
That's actually a Good-Looking bike.....!!! Never tell it was Salvaged. I like it. (y)

·
Registered
1990 ex500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum. You are right, there is a lot of knowledge floating around the site if you only look then ask. Just wanted to say that's a beautiful bike. I absolutely love that color scheme.
Hey, thanks for your compliments, Elsevere and Moto-kafe. I suspect the salvage title is due to a minor accident when the bike was much newer. It seems that the salvage tag sticks to the title forever in this state. I paid $400 for the bike about 10 years ago, and it was in sorry shape. I rode it home, but with any acceleration, the chain would jump over the non-existent sprocket teeth. the frame was cracked, as it once had a side car mounted, several holes were drilled into the frame for the mounts. the brake rotor was garbage as the pads were just the metal. I paid too much. The plan was to build a cheap bare naked commuter, bondo the tank dents, with a rattle can paint job. Found a real nice 1992 EX500 at the motorcycle scrap yard, $500 for tank and all the plastic body parts. This wasn't in my budget or idea for a street fighter, but my wife loved the color, so she bought it for me. She didn't realize how much more I would need to put into this turd. Everything was replaced except the engine and frame, literally. Turned it into a nice bike that I rode for years, this website being a great resource, (I've been lurking here for years) until the ignition gremlins appeared. Now to do anything with the bike, it needs tires, and now I read about the flywheel magnet timebomb issue. I'll probably just clean it up and sell it cheap for the next person looking for a project!

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Hello @Johann and welcome from Virginia

1 - 11 of 11 Posts