Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't want to hijack the other thread. I'm looking for some grips that will help keep my hands from that tingly feeling on longer rides. I try to keep the weight off and move my hands but it still gets me. This set from the other thread looks nice:

grips: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=440-01&Category_Code=Hand-Cont

Has anyone tried any other grips that they really think would help. I don't care how cool they look 8), I just am looking for some good cushioning grips.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the "Grand Touring" grips installed on my bike. The barrel shape is really nice. You'll have to cut off the ends of the grips to accommodate the bar ends. In reason to achieve the most vibration reduction, heavy-weight bar ends would be also necessary.

This is probably the most comprehensive hand and arm comfort upgrade package on a Ninja 500:

1) Grand Touring grips
2) 16-ounce HVMP bar end weights
3) Motorcycle Larry's risers
4) Throttle rocker

Z

·
0 Posts
I'm not sure if the bars are hollow or not, but if they are...

I've heard of people filling them with lead shot or other small lead bits that fit through the threaded holes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
the most popular "comfort" grips are usually gel or foam. also, weighted bar ends are said to reduce handlebar vibes alot. their my next investment and are said to make the most difference.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ZEDhead said:
I'm not sure if the bars are hollow or not, but if they are...

I've heard of people filling them with lead shot or other small lead bits that fit through the threaded holes.
From what I recall when I replaced my right handlebar, I think it was hollow. Don't quote me on it, but that's what I seem to remember.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The bars are hollow. I filled mine with steel BBs when I had a 250 and it didn't make a noticeable difference. One thing be aware of - both handlebars have several holes in them, I didn't tape all of the holes shut and some of the BBs dropped out while I was riding, shorting out most of the switches :).

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do people really have that big of a comfort problem on this bike? I think it's rather comfortable.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Ride with one hand for awhile!

Actually I was thinking about getting Salamander bar end weights, since both of my bar ends are scratched up from PO's low speed dumps.

Has anybody used those?

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
bhd1223 said:
Do people really have that big of a comfort problem on this bike? I think it's rather comfortable.
Wait until the engine chew through it's rubber engine mounts ;)

R

·
0 Posts
plus a million on the HVMP bar ends. My bike came with them, and before coming to the Interwebz, I have no idea the handle bars actually were supposed to vibrate....I've pulled 6-12 hour days on my EX, and my arms feel fine, ZERO vibration.

Besides, HVMP gives this site money if you order a set!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Go with the Grab On all foam grips I have been using them for years.
They are inexpensive waterproof and durible you should get 3-4 years use.

Check out the Road Classic styles or Super Bike I run with the Superbike
I have a 5,000 rpm buzz and the foam grips cut the vibs way down.

Also if you have bar buzz don't grip the bars to tight. Right hand buzz - pull in clutch and shake hand to get blood moving. left hand remove hand from bar and shake.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got a set of the Sunline Grand Touring Grips on my Fazer, and they were my favorites, until I found these;

They are Progrip 714s and on the Concours forum, many rave about them. They are the best grip I've found so far, and I've tried a few...

I ordered mine from here;
http://www.murphskits.com/grips.htm
Little pricier than some places, but shipping is included and they are the #1 Concours vendor. They give superb service and super-fast shipping.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i got some progrips 717 iirc

while they look better and are softer than stock i think i feel vibrations more
i think they'll be awesome combined with some heavier bar ends

i wouldnt go back to stock, but i cant say my new ones are much more comfortable on long trips right now

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I like those progrip touring grips, too. I have them on my GS1000 and they are really comfortable. I have also used the grab-on waterproof foam neoprene grips on bikes with high vibes (read two strokes) and they were good, too.

I like gel grips, but some I have actually found too soft.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I really like the Pro Grip 719. Much more comfortable than stock and for those that care they look better too! 8)

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Sven Hoek said:
I really like the Pro Grip 719. Much more comfortable than stock and for those that care they look better too! 8)
I had those on my Kawa zl900. Comfy and they looked good, yes an added bonus.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts