Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Decades ago, I bought a neat little tool that wedges into place and has a small plunger that compresses the valve spring just enough to pull the shim out with a magnet. It was almost $50 in the early 80s. Lasts a lifetime, though.
Got a picture of that tool?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Decades ago, I bought a neat little tool that wedges into place and has a small plunger that compresses the valve spring just enough to pull the shim out with a magnet. It was almost $50 in the early 80s. Lasts a lifetime, though.
I was given that tool by the guy I bought the bike from, I just didn't need it. Its shaped kind of like a sickle, goes underneath the cam and pushes down on the lifter.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
You made me dig for it! But, here it is: A Kent-Moore YM33296. Kent-Moore was a part of Sealed Power, but apparently long defunct. Interestingly, the instructions (line drawings) appear to show a Kawi Z-1 or KZ650. A complex little device, but once it is set in place and the valve spring compressed, both hands are free.

Kent-Moore was bought by Sealed Power, which was bought by Federal Mogul, which was bought by Tenneco. Am guessing the Kent-Moore factory is long gone and likely listed in a blog somewhere as a ghost factory.

·
Registered
843 Posts
When I moved to Florida in 2008 I owned a 2003 Suzuki Volusia (my very first brand new motorcycle I ever bought!) and after a few months of riding in the Florida heat I couldn't take it anymore. It would get so hot sitting at a stop light I thought the engine would blow! So, I did what I thought I'd never do...sell my baby!
Being bike-less lasted about 3 months before I came across a GS500. I drove up to take a look and brought my trailer - just in case! - and drove home with it. It was a woman selling it and she...was...tough!!! She wouldn't negotiate a dollar off her asking price! (Which, IIRC, I paid $1700 for it at the end of 2008.)
Let me tell you, that bike was a fun little one! Great for zipping around town and when I'd jump on the freeway that thing could hold up just fine among traffic! Sure, it's lightweight so you get blown around a little but I really enjoyed myself. Because of that bike, and the fact that my body was getting used to the Florida heat, I was back in the riding world!

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Ok, so good news, I got it started for a second today, basically shot some carb cleaner into the cylinders without carbs on and fired it off, sounded pretty good.

Also just got the rear master cylinder disassembled and let me tell you, that was a major pain in the ass. Piston was seized, 120psi from the compressor did nothing, soaked it in PB Blaster for about an hour, compressor still did nothing. Took a large philips head screwdriver and basically went caveman with that and the piston on the workbench, it finally moved, shot it from the other end with air and finally came apart. Soaking all the parts in some parts cleaner, and will have that back together this afternoon.

On a side note, I got a call from the sheriffs office this morning (I'm on call this week as I work for the water/sewer dept), some guy ran over a fire hydrant, and I mean he nailed that thing, launched it a good 50 yards, took out a fence, bent a light pole, and drove a few miles down the road where he nailed another truck. Still have no idea where the operating shaft for the hydrant went, Im assuming its wedged somewhere in his truck. That shaft is basically a 2ft long 1 inch thick solid steel bar. It's been an interesting morning so far.

Wow, that guy is fortunate.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
More fortunate than getting personal with a projectile hydrant or steel rod anyway. o_O
Hell a few months ago some girl drove off the road, nailed a hydrant, and it flew into the back window of a pickup about 50yards away, she was doing probably 60 when she hit it. Had another about 6 months ago where this girl hit the hydrant, broke it down at the pipe causing a water main break, water creates a hole, car goes in, and she tried saying she didn't hit it, she just happened to be parked there when it happened, yet her blue car had a huge indent in the front and alot of yellow hydrant paint on it.

You would think we were painting targets on these things man. We've been getting 2-3 hit a month, not including people who back into them or hit them lightly enough to not break them off so they just drive away.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You made me dig for it! But, here it is: A Kent-Moore YM33296. Kent-Moore was a part of Sealed Power, but apparently long defunct. Interestingly, the instructions (line drawings) appear to show a Kawi Z-1 or KZ650. A complex little device, but once it is set in place and the valve spring compressed, both hands are free.

Kent-Moore was bought by Sealed Power, which was bought by Federal Mogul, which was bought by Tenneco. Am guessing the Kent-Moore factory is long gone and likely listed in a blog somewhere as a ghost factory.

View attachment 52450
Here's what it looked like before the design was sold to Kent Moore to make the special tool for Yamaha.
especially useful in some of the multi-valve models with very limited room to access the shims.

Didn't work so well on Suzuki and Kawa because the cylinder head surface was further away; some guys said they fashioned some kind of filler piece, ?
I also have the bolt-in tool by Motion Pro that copied the original, original Yamaha tool.

Probably sell all my special tools and shims sometime soon.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Am guessing the Kent-Moore factory is long gone and likely listed in a blog somewhere as a ghost factory.
From a brief internet search it would appear that Kent-Moore is still around.

I’ve been out of the shop for a couple years now but I know 2 years ago we could still order specialty tools from them.

Reactions: po18guy

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Good news! You had beter liuck than I did. Maybe just more sleep. They made such an amazing array of exctremely specialized tools, it's amazing that they could turn a buck on any of them.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Here's what it looked like before the design was sold to Kent Moore to make the special tool for Yamaha.
especially useful in some of the multi-valve models with very limited room to access the shims.

Didn't work so well on Suzuki and Kawa because the cylinder head surface was further away; some guys said they fashioned some kind of filler piece, ?
I also have the bolt-in tool by Motion Pro that copied the original, original Yamaha tool.

Probably sell all my special tools and shims sometime soon.

View attachment 52460
Interesting. The Kent-Moore design incorporates all movement - both of the clamp and the plunger into a single lever. And, it is fabbed from aluminum rod - considerably cheaper to manufacture. Never had much use for the bolt-on shim tools, as the principle just seemed off. Those cam cover bolts were never intended to be used for that purpose. And, way too fiddly for my taste.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Got all of the seals in the mail today, installed in the carbs, and even had the bike running for a minute until I noticed, 3/4 of the header bolts were missing... yay... So as soon as I'm off of work and off call tomorrow, I'll be making a run to the hardware store for some bolts as I don't have the size I need in my spare nuts/bolts bucket.

In the past few days I have been doing bits of work as parts arrived, including spark plugs, installed turn signals, installed the front fender, new fuel lines, cleaned out the gas tank, and even got a new rubber strip that goes around the bottom edge of the gas tank where it contacts the frame. I should have it all back together and ride it this weekend. Once the fairings and everything are back on it I will post another picture. So far I am under $600 for this whole project.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Got the exhaust bolts on, tank and seat mounted, took it for a ride, plenty of power, except after hitting the throttle the idle hung around 3k rpm, and we all know where this is going. Got home, sprayed carb cleaner around the boots, engine revved up. Damnit... So tomorrow I will try putting screw clamps on and see if that seals it, it worked for my Ninja 500 so hopefully it works for this. Otherwise its another $60 for 2 new boots and another week of waiting.

Other than that, its a peppy little bike, nice to ride, and has kind of a street fighter look to it. Noticed as it was running that the oil pressure light was on, so first thing I checked was the pressure switch, previous owner took the signal wire for the switch and grounded it to some other screw instead of putting it back in the pressure switch, probably when he replaced the clutches. Connected the wire where its supposed to be, light went away. Also noticed the low beam was out but high beam was good, happened to have an extra H4 bulb in my tool box so problem solved. Hopefully I'm running out of problems to fix at this point 😅

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
So I got new clamps on and the hanging idle stopped, I can spray around the boots where they bolt to the head, and the idle rises slightly, so theres a slight vacuum leak but it rides normally and from what I gathered from some GS forums, this is common on these, so I'm just gonna leave it. As soon as I put the fairings on the bike and got it complete, it began raining, and hasn't stopped... since yesterday. So as soon as it quits raining, if it ever does, I will pull it out and get a picture for you all.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the pics and reading your riding impressions.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Rain stayed away long enough to go for a short ride to my favorite non ethanol gas station, and give the bike a good washing. Overall It rides very similar to the EX500, but I like the riding position on the EX500 more than the GS500. The GS500 is more upright as you ride, but acceleration and cornering is very close to the EX500. The front brake is definitely more grabby on the GS500, but that could be due to the new EBC pads, where my EX500 has OEM pads. Not a bad bike at all, but I'll still stick with my Ninja.

And here she is after her bath.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts