Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of handlebar risers from http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/ninja_risers.aspx. Oh my god, what a difference. I took a quick trip down the road and back and I noticed a couple things:

1. With the risers, it takes tons less effort to keep my weight off my hands. The riding position is still a little bit leaned forward, but it's a lot more upright than it was.
2. My bike feels more like the standard bikes we rode in the MSF class. Tons more confidence inspiring. Maybe it's just because my center of gravity is closer to upright, but it feels like I'm a lot more in control of the bike. U-turns are *much* easier than they were before.
3. The downside--at full-lock, my index finger bumps the windshield on both sides because of how the windshield is shaped.

All in all, I highly recommend this mod to anybody who wants to do some longer distance riding on their bike, or just wants to get rid of tingly hands and a sore back from trying (and sometimes failing) to keep their weight off their arms.

·
Registered
270 Posts
man I was looking for lower risers without going to clip on's.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Nice review. I've got the same and wouldn't go back to stock.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got my risers in yesterday. Installed them in 5 minutes and off I went. These things help my back so much. I felt the wind a little more, but that just means it is time for a touring shield. Oh well. I will see what I can do. I think the risers are a must for the sports tour conversion. I will try to download some pics today.

Does anyone have a site that they recommend to help with the size of downloaded pictures? ???

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
you can also get picasa, it's free ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
If your looking to resize try using gimp I've got it and its easy to use. Btw its free.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, sorry, didn't take any pics. If I remember I'll take some tonight. One other thing I wanted to point out, these were dead simple to install but the instructions kind of sucked. The instructions just show 3 steps, but the pictures with the first two are for a Concours, not the Ninja 500. It tells you to remove 3 bolts when you only have to take off 2. Here's how I did the install:

1. On the triple tree just inside each handlebar, you'll see two little plastic tabs. Take those off and remove the bolts underneath (use the big hex wrench from your toolkit).

2. Pull the handlebars straight up about 1/2" to get them off the top of the forks. Let them hang to the sides of the bike on their cables.

3. On each riser, there are two little silver screws on the sides with very small allen wrench holes. Loosen these slightly and take the silver part out of the middle of the riser.

4. Put the silver part onto the fork-ends where the handlebars were. The little groove goes down onto the forks. Mine fit in easy but the instructions said it was a tight fit. You may need a block of wood or a rubber mallet to pound them in so they sit flush.

5. Put the black part of the riser back over the silver part you just took off. If you need to figure out which way they go on, look at your handlebars. They risers are the same shape as the bottom of the handlebars.

6. Put your handlebars back on top. Mine *just* fit, basically they were at the end of the cables without actually stretching them. It may take a little wiggling and crossing your toes just right, but they'll go on.

7. Use the four longer bolts that came with the risers to replace the ones you took out to get the handlebars off.

8. Tighten everything down. Don't forget the little silver screws on the sides of the risers. Start the bike and move the handlebars all the way left and right to make sure none of the cables bind up anywhere. Go for a quick spin around the block and enjoy how much more comfy your bike is. When you get back, check all the bolts again and make sure you got them locked down tight enough.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Jehos said:
I just installed a set of handlebar risers from http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/ninja_risers.aspx. Oh my god, what a difference. I took a quick trip down the road and back and I noticed a couple things:

1. With the risers, it takes tons less effort to keep my weight off my hands. The riding position is still a little bit leaned forward, but it's a lot more upright than it was.
2. My bike feels more like the standard bikes we rode in the MSF class. Tons more confidence inspiring. Maybe it's just because my center of gravity is closer to upright, but it feels like I'm a lot more in control of the bike. U-turns are *much* easier than they were before.
3. The downside--at full-lock, my index finger bumps the windshield on both sides because of how the windshield is shaped.

All in all, I highly recommend this mod to anybody who wants to do some longer distance riding on their bike, or just wants to get rid of tingly hands and a sore back from trying (and sometimes failing) to keep their weight off their arms.

Nice write up. I installed my risers about a week after I got my bike. I have been taking longer and longer rides as time goes by and they most definitely make it more comfortable.

Oh and I forgot that they are nicely made. It looks like stock to anyone who isn't looking too closely; same color and finish.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Does anybody have a preference for Gen-Mar risers over any of the others, or are they all about the same. What I mean (I guess) is does one brand work better with the stock cables and other potential clearance problems?
I have never used risers before, so I have no previous experience to go on.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have MC Larry risers. No clearance issues with the cables. You may have to do without a cable-tie, though I can't remember which one. Brake I think.
Full-lock your fingers will contact the windscreen but its a pressure more than a pinch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts