Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I was braking hard (perhaps a little too hard) before entering a corner and lost the front after discovering some unknown gravel. I went down pretty hard, but everything seemed ok. Except everything was not ok. The engine will start right up and run great when I've let it sit for a few minutes. But, when the engine is warm it cranks but will not start. This was never a problem before my accident. I hear no abnormal engine noise when it's running either. I'm a little stumped on this one. I don't appear to have water in the oil. I also just replaced the plugs the day before the wreck. Any ideas guys?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been reading a few threads like this. Here's my case, hoping this may help.

My 500 had been down twice before I got it, once on each side. Right side was slightly scratched, left side obliterated the top fairing on that side. It did have occasional trouble starting cold or hot until I opened the idle screws the recommended 2.5 turns (I have not fine tuned them yet). Now it starts in a few turns even after sitting for a couple weeks in 40 degree weather. I routinely park on the center stand if I'm off the bike for the day.

I have no idea how easy a new 500 starts thus I cannot compare new versus crashed. I'm not replying to advocate idle adjustment (there's plenty of threadage for that), just supplying more data for comparison.

Maybe one of the old hands can figger this problem out with enough evidence? I notice almost everything that happens to my bike when riding but I can't say I know what the evidence concludes.

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
I would say that the crash has disturbed the float settings or their operation, causing too rich a fuel supply to start quickly when warm. Cold is Ok because the bike needs choke anyway when cold and the extra fuel dosn't matter. also the extra level drains off as the bike sits , then the starting is normal.
You'll need to pull the carbs and check the float levels.

FOG

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Is this a problem you have on a regular basis ? I dropped my EX several times at low speeds , and each time it was hard to start after the drop(hot) . After it sit for a bit it would crank as if nothing was ever wrong (cold).Does it only do it after the drop or all of the time ??? Also the oil light would come on and stay lit untill I got it running and goosed the throtle .

·
Registered
19,369 Posts
Lucky#13 said:
Is this a problem you have on a regular basis ? I dropped my EX several times at low speeds , and each time it was hard to start after the drop(hot) . After it sit for a bit it would crank as if nothing was ever wrong (cold).Does it only do it after the drop or all of the time ??? Also the oil light would come on and stay lit untill I got it running and goosed the throtle .
If it was hard to start only the first time after you picked it up thats normal as the fuel in the float bowls would have poured into the engine , flooding it. After that you have a float problem.
The oil light came on because air got into the oil pump causing it to cavatate. Just about the worst thing you could have done was to rev it at that point. There was no oil pressure to protect the bearings. You should have released the air by loosening the filter till it leaks then start the engine at Idle till oil ran out. Then tighten the filter and go

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hrm.... I sure will check up on those float settings as soon as possible. That does sound like a most likely culprit. Unfortunatly, the soonest I think I'll be able to do that will be next week but I'll be sure to keep everyone posted. To provide a little further information, it is a CA model.... I forgot to mention that before.

·
Registered
18 Posts
After riding around for a few days I started to notice that the problem wasn't necessarily present after the bike warmed up but merely after I started and then stopped it. Before I even got into the carbs I decided to check the plugs on a hunch. Sure enough, I wasn't getting spark to either plug. But, obviously I was getting spark at least intermittently otherwise the bike wouldn't start. A quick voltage check showed 10 volts to each coil and proper resistance in the coil itself. I decided to charge the battery since I had seen the same problem once before on my buddies jeep, now the problem appears to have gone away. At least for the moment. It's too early to tell since it's been cold outside, but I have been getting the bike up to temp so it should be ok. I'll report back what I find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts