Ex-500.com - The home of the Kawasaki EX500 / Ninja 500R banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ignition key only works on my ignition. I have no way of opening the gas tank to add gas. Is there a way to gut the key cylinder on that lock to just make it turn with a flat head screwdriver, or my key? I want to be able to lock it down, and unlock it like normal, but I want to be able to turn the lock with any slim piece of metal that will fit in the lock. Any thoughts? I'm going to try taking my lock apart when I get home, but I thought maybe someone here can give me a place to start.

I understand I'm loosing the security of a locking gas carp, but right now I can't even close the tank because it was locked while open and the little tounge (best description I can think of) is keeping it from closing.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,367 Posts
Take the lock to a locksmith he'll fit a new key. This is apprentice boy work for a smith.

FOG

R

·
0 Posts
The lock on my zx600 was bored out by a previous owner. To me, that was unsafe. If I were to crash, it could pop open and spill gas out. I'd go the locksmith route!

·
Registered
51 Posts
roxynoodle said:
The lock on my zx600 was bored out by a previous owner. To me, that was unsafe. If I were to crash, it could pop open and spill gas out. I'd go the locksmith route!
+1 same was done to mine, i hav to carry around a screw driver to mine everytime i have to refill

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
One thing I've done on previous bikes where the key for the cap was lost is I remove the cap from the bike, and reove the tumblers from the lock so you can turn with any key pretty much, yet you still have the illusion of a locked gas cap.

Alternately, a locksmith, or going on ebay and finding a gas cap witha key will do fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts